Cleveland high- sponsor a Child!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ljk, Dec 1, 2011.

1. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Hi,

My son is in SGA at Cleveland High School and they are sponsoring about 90 children from Falcons Childrens Home. (sort of like an angel tree) They have a wish list for each child and there are limits on how much you can spend per child etc... They have infants on up!

If anyone would like more info, please let me know. I know the economy is tough... you can even sponsor 1/2 a child if you want! :)

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

2 questions...

what is SGA?

would you message me your info on their Angel Tree program?

Thanks!

3. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

LOL-

SGA= Student Government Association

And message is on the way! :)

Thanks Tassy.

4. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

could you just give me a general idea if the items on the kids' lists are toys or if they are more like clothing or toothbrushes and hair ties and stuff or a mix?

5. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

It is a mix really. The younger ones want toys, footballs....A lot of the teens would like clothes. Some want hair products, jewelry, shoes. Some of the older kids would like household items since they will be kicked out soon (sets of glasses, silverware etc) The teen moms are asking for stuff for the baby, diapers, baby toys, baby clothes...

If you are looking for a child asking for a certain type of thing, I can do my best to find a match!! :)

Thanks for asking!

6. macy

macy Well-Known Member

cleveland high - sponser a child

i am interested in doing this. who do i see on information on sponser a child. thanks..macy

7. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Thanks Macy. I will send you a pm!

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ljk, what a great program and wonderful way to teach teenagers how important it is to give rather than receive, kudos to the high school and the students involved:hurray::hurray: Unfortunately i am already tapped out this year from several other Christmas programs outside of 4042 but i will defintely keep this program in mind for next year:cheers:

9. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

We are enjoying it... we have been helping for a few years. My kids help shop and wrap. (and help hide candy and goodies in with the gifts....)

One teen asked for skittles and McD's gift card. :cry:

We still have some kids not spoken for if anyone else wants to help out!
    :lol:

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

curious, does West do something like this too?

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the list ljk! Excited to go shopping for this teenager and make her Christmas a little better!

:hurray:

12. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I think West's club does as well. Also at Cleveland, one of the SGA sponsors adopts kids from Falcon Children's Home every year. Love all of this giving and sharing...it is actually making me almost "like" the holidays again. DOn't mean to sound like a scrooge...my family has just had our share of hardships over the past several years!

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

14. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

To all the wonderful peps that are shopping for this... I have to have the gifts delivered to the school by the 15th... So let me know how you want to meet up etc... (or you can take it to the school yourself if you want!)

15. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Hi!!! My boys are SO excited about this. Today they got out their cash and counted it and discussed amongst themselves about how much to put towards the gifts. They can't wait to go pick them out! I'll contact you soon about how to get the gift to the school.

Should it be wrapped or not?

16. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I am so glad your boys are getting 'into' it. I know my children have learned so much from this!

If you have time to wrap them, that would be great. If you could please wrap them in the same paper with the child's name (last initial as well) that would be super! We had a hard time sorting them last year! If you would rather I wrapped them, I have NO problem doing that! :)

Thanks again.

17. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

No, we are excited to wrap it. I just didn't know if there was any pre-inspection necessary or anything. :) It's been fun to think of girl presents. I've had to buy for mostly boys for so long!

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'm excited about shopping for the teenage girl I got too!

I just got a Khols coupon for an extra 20% off entire purchase, so I think I'll look there first.

:hurray:

19. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

they have some great (and nicely priced!) gift sets at target, i noticed, like olay, for example. i am thinking of a cookbook as well since ours is a 17 year old (in addition to what she has asked for). i read on the home's website that they are cooking for themselves and each other by that age, so i thought one with the basics (like better homes & gardens or maybe even that new paula deen southern one) might be nice. (or it might be a gift they appreciate later down the road!!)

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thanks~ I'll have to check that out incase I can't find something on her list!