Clayton Dog Park

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jun 2, 2011.

1. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

As the chairperson of the very hard-working committee to develop the aforementioned dog park, all I can say is WOW - some of you guys will tear down anything!

Look, I don't have any kids and therefore no use for the schools here, but the way I look at it is that the better the schools are, the better the community and the higher my property values will be.

You can use the example that the kids are or will be paying taxes but that's really apples to oranges because there's no guarantee that the kids will live here for the rest of their lives and pay into the local tax system that funded their ball fields and walking trails. But that's OK because someone else will. It's just the way the system works.

Regarding the location and parking....this is space the Town had available when we started planning, so we did not have to spend money to buy land. We are able to expand the parking area to include about 15 spaces, although we are looking at other options as well because we know it is not ideal. (Although 15 cars can mean there are between 15 and 45 dogs at the park at that time!) It's possible that people can park across the street at the community park when that is developed.

So everyone knows, the location is about a half mile up Glen Laurel Road from 42E near Caterpillar. There is a big dog bone sign that marks the future site. For anyone around 40/42 that routinely goes to any of the Raleigh dog parks, this should be closer for you.

Last month, the Clayton Town Council unanimously approved this dog park, which will be the FIRST one in Johnston County. Clayton bills itself as the place for active families, and this dog park will be a welcome addition. As future parks are developed in town, a dog park will be in the initial plan, along with ball fields, tennis courts, walking trails, etc. - something for everyone!

All I ask is that you keep an open mind and look at this as something that while maybe not benefiting you directly, will benefit the community at large and therefore deserving of our support.

Thank you for taking the time to read this very long post.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

you want to compare apples to oranges? compare dogs to kids again....

argue FOR your dog park if you want to, but seriously, equating it to public education is just plain loony.

3. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say thanks for making it possible!

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I agree - I like what this will say about, and do for our community. Thank you.

5. bostonredhead

I promised that I would update the group when we were closer to opening, so here it is:

We hope to open this month! If the weather stays decent, we should be able to get the last few areas completed very soon. We ARE still awaiting final approval from the DOT regarding the entrance/driveway (Glen Laurel Road is very busy in that area, so it has to do with having an asphalt platform of a certain size to help people get traction to pull out onto GL Rd safely). Safety lights, "doody" bag stations, water stations, a dog wash off area, picnic tables are some of the features that have been added.

Fencing is almost completed as well. We plan to open for "business" as soon as possible, but we will wait until spring to have an official grand opening event.

For future updates, park info/rules, and construction pictures, come to our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/EastClaytonNCDogPark

6. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

I have kids and dogs and I can't wait for the dog park and the people park to open! I don't live in Glen Laurel but I do live in that area and I do have a fenced yard for my dogs to run in. I just like to social aspect of going to the dog park and my kids enjoying seeing all the different dogs.:hurray:

7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to bring Laila and Jese over to that park. It will be a lot closer than driving over to Lake Wheeler Road.

But I would like to say that just because there are picnic tables it shouldn't mean you need to bring your own food in. If you do, than don't get upset if you have a gaggle of dogs around you wanting some of your food. Also from going over to the Lake Wheeler dog park something that annoys me is when people have to smoke or chew gum. Dispose of the butts and the gum properly. Don't be sticking the gum up under the picnic tables like a juvenile or throwing your butts on the ground where an innocent dog could pick it up and chew on it. One time I had to pull a piece of used gum out of Laila's mouth cause the gum had come unstuck from the underside of a picnic table.

8. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

We'll bring Cleveland Library's therapy dog, Brella, over for a run

Thanks for the heads up. She's checked out the Wake parks. Her biggest complaint is the black powder her white coat picks up at the one park.

As for me, I prefer the dog park to the tennis courts. I gave up tennis years ago and our dog is too short to play tennis.

9. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

My 2 cents on dog parks, and that's about what it's worth - Dogs are a lot like children, until they're all as well behaved and up to date on their shots as mine are, you won't see me or my dog in one.

Playing Devil's Advocate, it's really an unknown entity when you open the gate and step in with your dog(s). You do don't know how aggressive other dogs may be, whether yours will be attacked, and even if all the other dogs are up to date on the REALLY IMPORTANT SHOTS!!!

Too many variables for me. My dog and I will get our exercise the old fashioned way - walking, and interact and socialize with dogs we know and trust.

And THAT'S about all I've got to say about THAT!!! (probably not :) )

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Right there with ya. Buddy is "vocal", not a mean bone in his body, so I wouldn't take him to a dog park where another dog could get the wrong idea about him "talking" and try to jump him. I'd hate to have to shoot someones pet or owner. 8)

11. bostonredhead

No worries - the picnic tables are outside of the fenced in areas, for people to use before/after their dogs play. We ask (via a sign) that people NOT bring food into the fenced area to avoid fights over the food.

I'm with you on the gum. Hopefully people will just use the trash can...

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Bump - now open!

13. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Great!!! Thanks!!

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

HG and Satman...

As DH has now finished the backyard fencing project, y'all are welcome to bring Buddy and Grover over for friendly playdates with Sadie and Chloe!

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:hurray:

16. dgsatman

The irony of all this is that Grover's picture is on the sign at the Dog Park, and he will never see it.

If I knew how to post a pic, I would. :?

17. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

18. dgsatman

19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest