Looking for something cool to do

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, we were given money from my parents for Christmas to spend on the kids. We really do not want to give them each money for various reasons. We thought about a group gift. We don't really need a game system or computer or something of that nature. Have plenty of outdoor activity items. Soo, we've bee thinking of possibly a trip of some sorts w/ the kids. 10 of them. Youngest is 4 and we also have 3 teens. Now, thought of possibly Tweetsie. Umm, they're closed till April. We want a new or fun experience for them all. something maybe different. Years ago we took them all to Myrtle Beach for Christmas & went to Medieval Times. They STILL talk about that. Something of that nature. Any ideas? Great Wolf Lodge is well out of price range at over $1200 a night! Could be maybe a combo of things possibly. Please throw some ideas my way so I can decide. Have till Christmas to figure this one out. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

2. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

I heard an ad on the radio for Busch Gardens Festival of Lights (and some rides are open). It's every night during December. They also have shows in the theaters during this.

3. Soccermom81

Soccermom81 Well-Known Member

They have a new Pirate Voyage in Myrtle Beach. I have not been, but want to take my kids. I looked online for it and it looks really cool. Hope that helps.

4. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Tubing, or skiing with lessons at Winterplace, or tubing at Moonshine Mtn which says they allow "trains"--so everyone can latch on and go down the mtn together.

A trip to Washington DC...some things my kids have enjoyed there: the Washington Nat'l Zoo (has panda bears)(is free to get into, just pay a small amount to park); Georgetown Cupcakes (from the show on TV); the Washington Monument; the Smithsonian museums;the "Duck" tour; the bureau of engraving and printing; There is also an awesome hands-on children's museum there for little ones. Take the train in to add some adventure from one of the outlying areas like Lorton or somewhere near Quantico.

Rent a cabin in the Gatlinburg area for a couple of days (or 3 or 4 with this half-price special..., this website has buy two nights get two free in December it said: http://rental.cabinsofthesmokymountains.com/?gclid=CPraiNTS7awCFU1x5QodmFPcOg It looks like it is really expensive over Christmas week, but if you could go between now and then, or after the first of the year, it might work?
    Go siteseeing in the mountains, our kids like to drive out to some of the big TVA dams and just look, it's impressive, maybe there will be snow you can drive to up in the national park to play in, get a cabin with a pool table and a jacuzzi or something and just hang out, or go window shopping in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Ober Gatlinburg has an iceskating rink and skiing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  5. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

I agree with Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Dollywood is beautiful at Christmas. Plus, there's fun for the Whole family..no matter what age. They have a whole section called the "County Fair" that has nothing but "kid" rides and lots of games. Also, there are lots of fun roller coasters throughout the park that would be enjoyed by the teens and anyone who is tall enough to ride them. We go about 5 or more times a year and we love it! My son, who will be 10 months on Friday, rode his first ride there back in October. Memories!

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Great Wolf Lodge?

7. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

lol, did you read her post??

9. irishluck

irishluck Well-Known Member

I recommend Banner Elk, NC as opposed to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/smokey mtns, as it's about a 4 hr drive instead of 6. They have ***** mtn, Sugar Mtn, (to go skiiing, tubing, etc) and Grandfather Mtn and Roan mtn (TN) are nearby for the park experience. Its a lovely quiet little town. You definitely feel like youre "away from it all" but yet not stranded in the boondocks. You could rent a cabin. That would definitely be a fun experience.

lol Idk why B.e.e.c.h mth is considered vulgar. haha

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

no...why? :lol:

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

This

12. mom23

mom23 Active Member

Check out Dunes Village at Myrtle Beach. Indoor waterpark and very nice, but a four bedroom condo is only about $200 a night.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Be sure to enter the dates you want...prices go sky high right after Christmas!! Before looked good though! Thinking that would be way more fun than shuffling around to see relatives!:twisted:

14. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I will never, ever understand why anyone would want to go to Myrtle Beach for anything. ever.

:ack:

15. KellBell

ok, I will give you that. And lunch at Hooter's which is right there in front of it.

:cheers:

but that's it. for real.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

We've been twice, once for a scout thing and once to camp at Pirateland. I don't care if I ever go back. :lol: <shiver>

17. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thank you Kell and kdc! We have never taken our kids and I was feeling that parent guilt, but if it is not worth it, then I would prefer to save our $$ for something better!!

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I like going in winter .. my parents usually go for a couple weeks in January or February, and I'll drive down to visit 'em (Dad's a dedicated golfer). It's fun to walk on the beach, go to the stores and restaurants during the 'off season' when it's not hot and dirty and crowded. I usually stay up all night one night and watch the sunset and sunrise, listening to the sounds of the ocean under the stars ... it's quiet and crisp and clear out... love it!

But that's me, and I don't have kids. ;)

19. KellBell

we ride down there for Mustang week in the summer. Go to Bass Pro Shops (the car show is in the same parking lot) and then lunch at Hooters. There for about a half a day. And that's a plenty for me. It reminds me of Fayetteville. <<double shiver>> :ack:

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's an apt description........it's kinda "seedy" in areas. LOL. There are some nicer areas to be sure, but it's not high on my list of places to visit.