Career plans

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by firefly69, Dec 8, 2011.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I am trying to decide if a career change would be good (in the near future) or if I want to pursue a Doctorate in my field. I am very good at what I do, but really have no good prospects for moving up without a Doctoral degree. I would need more education/training to pursue another field since what I do is specialized. Are there any CURRENT resources to see what careers are hiring/in demand/local to this area, other than the classifieds/job sites? Maybe with expected salary information? I am lucky that I have a job and for the most part, I like what I do, but the prospect of sending 2 kids to college and then trying to retire before I die based on my salary is making a change look pretty good. Anything math related is preferred. TIA!

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Are there any Professional Societies that you belong to? I belong to the American Society for Quality ( hold one of my credentials through them) and they conduct an annual Salery survey with breakdowns by education, position and years of experiance.

Also that organization has a number of certifcation programs, I am a Certified Quality Engineer with them. That boosted my pay even though I have only an Associate Degree. I also hold a number of certifications through the RABQSA as an auditor.