2012-2013 School Calendar Changes?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KB2, Dec 9, 2011.

1. KB2

KB2 Well-Known Member

Was anyone aware they are changing? I just saw it on West View Elementary's website. They are asking for feedback on 3 different options.

I guess the reason for the change is that students are now required to be in school 185 days rather thatn 180 days & teacher workdays have been reduced from 15 days to 10 days.

If it matters much to you, you may want to share your opinion. :)

I think I like Calendar #1 the most as it seems the most similar to what the calandar is like now. The other 2 don't take Labor Day as a holiday & one of them doesn't take the Wednesday before Thanksgiving off either.

-K

2. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

The school system goes through this process every year. Present 3 options, have a weigh in period, and then they pick one. Nothing new. The extra five days is not new either, but I doubt it will stick. I heard that JCS has asked to waive them all again this year, just like last year, based on no increase in the funding to support adding five days to the year. Not sure what idiot thought they could squeeze five extra days from an already strapped budget, but we should find out so we can vote them out of office.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  3. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Because I do not understand something........ If they take 5 teacher workdays away and replace them with 5 extra school days where does that require extra money?

The only part I could guess would be that hourly workers would be needed that would normally not be there on a teacher workday.

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Buses, for one as the main expense. Not sure how much it costs to run every single route for 5 extra days, but I would imagine it is no small chunk of change. I am sure there are other expenses as well, related to lunches, but since I am not versed in that, I will not be specific. 5 more days of free/reduced lunches...will there be extra money provided for that? Just thinking out loud, but running the buses is the main $$.

5. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Perhaps..... leads more credence to smaller schools located closer to homes. How did they do it before school buses? Why are they giving free lunches away?

5 days will not matter as it is still the same broken educational system.

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We are definitely in agreement there!

The free/reduced breakfast/lunch program is what I was referring to earlier. I have no idea how that is funded, but unless the programs receive extra funding for those extra days, it would be expensive to provide breakfast and lunch to those kids who qualify. Again, I don't think it will fly given the bus and food expenses with no new $$ coming in to fund it. Just another GRAND idea by some politician who has no freaking clue.

7. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Great points! So far we have transportation costs and food costs. In the ideal world any politician would understand the cost and increase the funding for adding calendar days.

too bad the majority of politicians live in a fantasy world.

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Isn't that the truth!??