White Oak Shopping Center

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I noticed yesterday when coming out of White Oak at the Timber drive entrance that across the street from Timber drive there is a sign 'logging trucks entering road' I wonder if they are finally going to connect Timber drive at White Oak with Timber drive where it ends at Route 50.

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

that is the long-range plan as I understand it! :)

3. Rockyv58

I hope the tree removal is the beginning of it. It should relieve some traffic on 70 in that area especially during rush hour.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

6. Rockyv58

YEAH!!!!

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

well last week they were paving and expanding the other side on the 50 hwy. so there is 2 sides to every story :D so glad it is open:)

8. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

http://www.wtsbradio.com/

Timber Drive Extension Opens Ahead Of Schedule
    Bridge Named for Former Garner Mayor Don Rohrbaugh

The N.C. Department of Transportation opened the new Timber Drive Extension in Garner to traffic Tuesday afternoon, nearly 10 months ahead of schedule. A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Tuesday to celebrate the completion of the new road, as well as name the new bridge over Mahler’s Creek in honor of former five-term Garner Mayor Don Rohrbaugh, who was instrumental in the construction of both Timber Drive and its extension.

“This project is essential to the mobility of this community, which is growing rapidly and needs new infrastructure to keep up with increasing traffic demand,” said NCDOT Secretary Gene Conti, who gave the ceremony’s keynote address. “Don recognized the importance of this route in the life of this region and worked hard to make it a reality.”

Rohrbaugh was elected as Garner mayor in 1991 and went on to serve five consecutive terms. He also served as a member of the Garner Planning Board, Garner Area School Advisory Council, I-40 High Occupancy Vehicle Policy Committee, Board of Directors for the League of Municipalities and Wake County Board of Adjustment, as well as chairman of the Wake County Transportation Advisory Committee and co-chair of the Garner Centennial Committee. He was presented the Order of the Long Leaf Pine in 2001 in recognition of his service to the state of North Carolina.

The dedication of the bridge in Rohrbaugh’s honor was requested by the Garner Town Council. The N.C. Board of Transportation passed a resolution approving the naming on Dec.1.

The 1.4-mile Timber Drive Extension is a four-lane divided highway connecting N.C. 50 and White Oak Road in Garner. The $9.4 million project was constructed by Fred Smith Company of Raleigh.

The extension is a top transportation priority for the town and is expected to improve traffic flow into Garner and south Raleigh from Johnston County. In addition to the funding provided by NCDOT, the Town of Garner paid $2.4 million for right of way acquisition and sidewalks on both sides of the roadway.

9. Rockyv58

I wonder if the people who own White Oak will not start building on the other side of the street between Timber Drive and hiway 70. The West side of White Oak Road

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Six Flags? Bass Pro Shops?? Sheetz?? Heaven forbid...WalMart?

11. Rockyv58

Even though I don't fish I would still like to see a Bass Pro shops and even a book store and maybe even a Super KMart.

I think tomorrow when I go to the assisted living in Garner maybe I will drive the new section of Timber Drive.

This may need to be a new thread but does anyone know when they are suppose to start building across from the wally world on 40/42? and if there is a place I can go online to look at the plans (for curiousity sake)

12. markfnc

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2006/01/16/story3.html?page=all

A regular mall was the plan from the TBJ article from 2006. At the time another article said they were waiting on confirmation of the Timber Dr extension to be started. Then the economy struck.

13. markfnc

I guess it was the new left turn light at aTimber & 50 but traffic was backed up to the Lily farm on 50 heading south last night. long wait to get thru light.

14. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

15. markfnc

Not really. Retail construction was still full bore until late 2007 or early 2008.

16. Rockyv58

I was out with a friend last night and we drove the new stretch of Timber Drive and she told me about the plans on a mall there. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the link We could use a decent mall on this side of town. I drove Timber drive on my way back from Garner this afternoon and it looks really nice. Eventually the economy will turn around.

17. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

Be careful on the new Timber Dr....Garner Police speed trap there....

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that the White Oak area hasn't exploded more retail-wise than it has already. They need some more restaurants around there.

19. Rockyv58

I think they also need to bring a Harris Teeter, Whole Foods to that side of town as well. Especially for the people in the apartments in White Oak and for us in Clayton who like to shop at those stores.

20. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

A bookstore would be nice too!