The Greatest Anything...now gone.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grinder, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Darryl's Restaurant on Hillsborough St.
    Mountain Jacks Restaurant
    Edwards Grocery
    Silver Bullet Saloon.

You get the idea.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

that barbecue place that used to be on hillsborough street/highway 54 between buck jones rd and cary...can't remember the name, but in the 70's when i was a little kid, it was one of just a few places around here to get decent barbecue...

andy's pizza. yeh, it's still there, but the kanas family sold it and now it sucks. andy was greek, used greek recipes for everything. i'm sure the recipes went with the business, but they can't do it like andy could. he started flinging pies at brother's on hillsborough street before opening his own at quail corners.

sportsworld. greatest skating rink ever.

the switch. hottest rock nightclub in these parts for a long, long time.

gah...all the stuff you listed was in raleigh, so that's where i started thinking about stuff...

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

LOVED Darryl's restaurant.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Puked over four dinners enjoying a meal in the one in Greensboro about 20 years ago!! I am sure they remember it! :cheers:

5. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

the old longbranch.
    chinese rest. on hillsbourough st near char grill /snoopys area.

6. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Ten-ten Chinese buffet restaurant on Western Blvd. Always had a B health rating but the food was always good, and they didn't mind kids. Can't find a Chinese buffet that even compares anymore.

And several people told us that the best breakfast around was served at a little tiny restaurant at the intersection of Rand Road and Ten-ten road. But I never got a chance to try it, it was there for years but is now closed. Can't remember the name of it, just a small, simple building on the corner.

Best Christmas lightshow...The one at Walnut Creek that you could drive through. Our kids loved it, we loved it. Loved stopping at the tents in the middle and letting the kids ride a few little rides and buying hot chocolate. Wish it was still there, it was a tradition while it lasted. Had to go to Meadow the last few years and it just isn't as nice, or as convenient.

*I loved Darryl's too, they had some kind of cake that was to die for. I can't remember what it was called now but at the time when they closed I had withdrawal symptoms for months not being able to buy a slice.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

8. pocahontas

:cry:

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Chi-Chi's Mexican

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

@mark i believe that would be the canton restaurant, on hillsborough near west st.

11. harleygirl

That's where DH and I met back in '96 :mrgreen:

12. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

thats it!

13. NCMAN919

NCMAN919 Active Member

WOW
    There was actually a chi chis restaurant here in this area?
    I loved that restaurant while living up north.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

These anatomically named restaurants were everywhere in the US prior to the Hepatitis issue. They are still in Canada and Europe.

15. NCMAN919

NCMAN919 Active Member

Wish I could find a decent mexican restaurant. The one here off of 40/42 just doesnt do it for our family.
    Having spent time in Mexico I got a taste of true mexican food. I know it cant be duplicated but still looking!

16. fooser

fooser Active Member

Harvey B's ,Clayton NC
    Last Chance Tavern , Garner NC
    Murry's Barbecue/Seafood, Old Poole Rd. Raleigh NC

17. pocahontas

I am still mourning the loss of the Garner Schlotzsky's, which is now Locked and Loaded or something. I have to drive all the way to Airport Blvd in RTP if I want a serious sandwich now.

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Try Festejos, downtown Clayton at the end of Main St., near Smithfield BBQ. They also run an even more authentic Taquiera right there too.

19. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Miss the one that closed in N Raleigh off Strickland Rd!! Loved their sandwiches.

The Showcase nightclub - Lane St, Raleigh - brown bagging days - Tams and Bill Deal & the Rhondells were there alot

Royal Villa - Glenwood Ave - now Providence Bapt Church

Ham & Egger - Wake Forest Rd - vacant lot now

Bennie's Grill - Capital Blvd, Wake Forest - became Shuckers for many years which moved to Rogers Rd

Shoney's - 401 South - Raleigh - met 1st girlfriend there - she went to Broughton HS

20. harleygirl

Mom & Dad used to go dancing out there