The Greatest Anything...now gone.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grinder, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Royal Villa was a great place. Usually "older" crowd. Large dance floor and a nice lounge connected to the main club. Afterwards we all had "breakfast" at Your House restaurant down the street.

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

ncsu hoops

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

and across glenwood from your house, where the golden corral is now, was the Ranch Motel and Restaurant. used to eat breakfast there alot before going to work at the Amoco station at crabtree that my dad owned....

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Miami Subs.

I remember after Hurricane Fran, there was no power on the Glenwood Ave area. The Miami Subs on Glenwood opened anyway, sold their subs at half price or less (I guess to cut their losses from no refrigeration)and gave coffee away free. What they did for the coffee was let it go through the drip then they put the pot onto the gas grill to eat the coffee up.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Still open in Fayetteville, just drove buy it an hour ago and mentioned to my wife that the last time I saw one open was down in Miami.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

The Plantation Inn off of Capital Blvd

Ages ago, (long before I moved to NC) my Dad used to travel to Raleigh for business and always stayed there. When he found out I was moving here, he was so excited to show it to me when they came to visit. We ate brunch at whatever the restaurant there was called. It was neat sharing his memories of Raleigh.

7. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

A classic landmark! Sorry to see it demolished.

[​IMG]

Description from an early 60's post card: One of the South's finest, is located on U.S. Rt. #1, 5 miles north of the Raleigh City limits. This replica of an old plantation is noted for its quality, service, and Southern hospitality. Its spacious grounds, covering 26 acres, and its heated swimming pool, offer guests the ultimate in informal relaxation. An atmosphere of quiet charm welcomes you in the restaurant, where excellent food is served graciously.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Not completely gone, but seriously cut back...

White Swan

This was my first experience in North Carolina Barbecue, and I definitely miss it.

9. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

O.T.'s Barbeque. Apex.

10. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Marz...spent many a drunken evening there in that place over by the Longbranch, what is it now a skating rink or something.

11. dangerboy

it's now an ice skating rink. originally sportsworld, at one time this building also contained raleigh's first underage club, julian's

12. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

You probably remember my mom & dad then, especially my mom she's a great dancer! :mrgreen:

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

That hasn't been gone too long (since I moved to Raleigh in '01). It sat at the SW corner of 540 and Capital.

14. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Sugar Bread - Old Salem

Got that stuff on school field trips and man it was the best stuff ever. I gave my son a $20 when he went and said to buy as much as he could but he said they didnt sell it. Tried to find it on their website and it wasnt there.

15. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I went to several weddings there too! It was a very neat place.

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

are you talking about '2001', back in the early 80's, on Hodges st? I used to hangout there :lol:

can't remember the place across the street from the Long Branch, used to frequent it quite often too! at one time it was the Flying Cloud restaurant.

17. dangerboy

bandmom...YES! it was a 2001 club. there was one in charlotte too...they had their own beer cans.

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Dangerboy didn't mention this one.

The old WRDU 106.1

19. dangerboy

:cheers:

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

and there's still one in Myrtle Beach :lol: