Christmas Eve service

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by newmom5497, Dec 19, 2011.

1. newmom5497

newmom5497 Well-Known Member

Looking for a smaller/quiet Christmas Eve service closeby(Cleveland area). Methodist preferred but not commited to that. Candlelight, singing, nothing flashy(not C-3 ish). Want to take out of town relatives but do not want to travel far ...want to stick to the Cleveland 40/42 area if possible.

Thanks!

2. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Shiloh Baptist is having theirs at 7:30.

Christmas Eve Service (Come as you are and celebrate with family.)
    December 24th at 7:30 p.m.

4. JayT

JayT Well-Known Member

We're having 3 services at Mount Zion UMC... The 4pm is more of a family-interactive service (using glow sticks in lieu of candles), which is great for the children (live nativity scene and participation). More traditional services at 8 and 10pm, using real candles...

5. tatorgirl

tatorgirl Active Member

Greater Heights UMC is having a candlelight Christmas Eve service at the Christmas tree in the Clayton Town Square at 5pm. We would love to have you join us :)

6. newmom5497

Thanks all for the prompt responses. They all sound very festive and nearby. I'll give the family a choice when they arrive this week to see which would be the best time/fit. No young kids, so the later ones with real candlelight sounds like a good option. Although earlier service, with time to spend with family later in the evening(and watch holiday movies by the fire) sounds good too...decisions, decisions..LOL.

Thanks again!

7. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

We have an 11:30 am & 11:30 pm Christmas Eve service at Plymouth Church off of Rock Service Station, a few mins down 42. www.PlymouthChurchOnline.com

8. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

The kids and I usually attend the candlelight service at Elizabeth United Methodist Church, located at 4269 Cleveland Rd. I think this meets all your criteria: small, quiet, early, Methodist. It's one of the oldest churches in the county, and really has that quaint, country church feel to it, not to mention the warm friendly folks that worship there. We attended Elizabeth regularly for many years before moving back into the family home in Clayton. We usually go back for homecoming, and more particularly Christmas Eve, and never fail to leave without that warm, comforting feeling of what Christmas is all about.
    Throughtout all the hustle-bustle of the holiday season, it's what REALLY puts me in the Christmas spirit.

Service begins at 5 pm. I highly recommend it.

9. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

My church, The Church at Clayton Crossings, is having a 10 am service on Jesus' Birthday! Live nativity starts at 9:30am! Come as you are!

10. Neighborhood MoM

Neighborhood MoM Well-Known Member

I 2nd your suggestion on Candle Light Service at Elizabeth

I go to the Candle Light Service there too. It does make the meaning the Christmas come back in my heart. It is such a warm and friendly Church. I do not think anyone visiting is a stranger there. Please consider them You will not be sorry. Service starts at 5:00 pm. Hope to see you there .

11. twisty

twisty Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what Christmas Eve services (and what time) Oakland Presbyterian is doing? Thanks!

12. newmom5497

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. We opted for Elizabeth United Methodist candlelight service on xmas eve. The time(5:00) and proximity to our house fit into our evening perfectly, along with growing up Methodist in a small-town church.... The out of town relatives were very moved by the childrens program and already mentioned going again next year when they visit again for the holidays. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming and the church was very charming and festive. We were particularly surprised by no money collection(not that we would have minded...it is a lovely church to contribute to)...but we have never been to a church service that did not have a collection-time. It sort of added to the non-commercial charm of the church, and holiday season we enjoy most.

THANKS AGAIN!

13. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Newmom, I have heard only good things about Elizabeth. I was also raised in a tiny, country, Methodist Church...a true family feel. It's so hard to find that again. :(

14. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out for you. Clayton First Baptist does not take up collection at our Christmas Eve Candlelight Service.

15. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

I have a question abour Christmas Eve services. Do most of the area churches serve communion during Christmas Eve services? Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Why communion when celebrating his birth?

16. dgsatman

Wish you had said "Hello"!!!! Glad you enjoyed it, and Happy New Year to you and yours!!!

17. dgsatman

We did this year, but I'm not sure I remember ever having before. I don't think so, but sometimes I hardly remember what happened yesterday!!! :?