Stocking stuffers for all ages!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Came across this site - it has some good ideas for stocking stuffers!
    http://www.plumpstocking.com/stocking-stuffers/stocking_stuffers_by_age.php

This is a neat idea from the site - esp for younger kids:
    Ever since I can remember, Santa Claus has left a rolled up piece of wrapping paper in each family member's stocking--Mom and Dad included. Once unrolled, we see that it is a special note detailing how proud he is of the "good girl" or "good boy" that person has been this year. (Things like, "Congratulations on learning to drive!" Or "I'm so excited for the new little bundle who will be joining you this spring" or "I sure am proud of the way you help take care of your little brother.") When the candy is eaten and the presents outgrown, we keep these notes as treasured memories of years past. The handwriting always looked awfully similar to my father's....what a wonderful thing to have when he passed away in my 20's. Now my husband and I love seeing each other and our children read about good deeds we've noticed. This is a great way to reinforce the love we have for each other as a family, and the important values our Savior would like us to live. -

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm surprised, in that whole list which includes cookies, candy and snack cakes, that fruit and nuts are not mentioned. Our stockings always have an apple and/or an orange on Christmas morning. Nuts are there too (walnuts and pecans, usually)

Other than that, it's a good list. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2011
  3. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Well yours always has fruit because the Big Guy brings you some...... the "non-believers" have to rely on the lists.......... I think this is how you know. If you get fruit and nuts you must still hear the bell........

4. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the fruit and nuts in the stockings. Always seems like we're all sugared out by the time Christmas day rolls around and also have to wait for dinner to cook, makes a nice alternative to grabbing yet another cookie or piece of candy.
    But as for the pocket knife...I would totally give one to a 9-11 year old as long as they had appropriate supervision/rules established. This used to be standard pocket fare for all the little boys, and I would give it to a girl too. I think it would be really nice to sit on the porch for a while and teach your child how to whittle, or practice using all of the little emergency type tools and gadgets on a Swiss Army knife. I'm not one to bubble wrap my kids though.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Totally agree. My son is Scout and has his whittling chip along with a nice little collection of pocket knives. He's never cut something he wasn't supposed to or himself. He's also getting a little Marlin .22 for Christmas (which will be properly secured when not under adult supervision). He's 12. I'd rather him know how to properly handle knives and guns than run across one and not know what to do.

Bubble wrapping parents are a whole lot of what is wrong with kids today. 8)

6. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

OK I see how it is...edit and make me look like I'm hallucinating :lol:

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's definitly not YOU that is hallucinating. :lol::lol::lol:

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That's not the reason. After re-reading the comment, I realized it came out a little gruff.

I do know there are kids that would be responsible with a knife at 9 years old, but not my grandkids (see my thread "Santa Claus Not Coming To Town?"). I think, given the general population today, though, I wouldn't recommend giving just any 9-11 year-old a knife.

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

:iagree:

I wasn't given a knife when I was a kid ... I had to steal my older brother's. :)

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Getting back to my original post - I wish I still had little ones, I think a note from Santa noting their accomplishments, triumphs, struggles, etc would mean a great deal to a kid - as well as reinforce the 'he's always watching' idea. :lol:

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Why is PRM in your Christmas stocking? :jester:

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Why only for your own little ones. There are many little ones whose parents could use a little help. Maybe you know someone that you could make some stockings for.

13. michelle

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. :cheers:

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Your welcome.

15. michelle

:cheers: to you too!