I need help (suggestions) FAST

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by michelle, Dec 22, 2011.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Ok, it's 3 days until Christmas and I am in desperate need of some ideas.

As many of you already know, my mama is very near the end of her battle with lung cancer. She is pretty much bed-ridden and she sleeps 90% of the time now.

I was planning to buy her several sleeveless gowns (the only kind she will wear) for Christmas but I cannot find them anywhere!! I've been to Target, Walmart, Kohl's, Family Dollar, Cato, Belks and Ross and they do not have any that are not long sleeved.

What else can I get her? Keep in mind that her vision is too bad for her to read (even if she did have the energy) and she doesn't listen to music, etc.

She has more robes and bedroom shoes than she will ever use and she no longer wears jewelry.

I'm thinking of getting her some nicely scented lotion and I already have some candy.

Help me out all of you wise 4042'ers!

2. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

Does she have a stereo or something in her room where she rests? If she doesn't maybe something that has a CD player in it or something and get her some various CD's. Anything from Inspirational/Motivational, upbeat, or a relaxation CD or something, or they even have books on CD's now...

3. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

What about some really nice sheets? I know sheets, but if she's bedridden? I know my daughter loved getting new pillow cases when she was sick

4. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

DVD movies if she likes to watch TV. Or maybe something pretty to look at, stained glass to hang in her window or something, fresh flowers. A really soft blanket, one with a really comforting texture. A dry erase board that can be hung where she can see it, if she has grandkids that come to visit they can leave her messages and pictures when they come. A box of her "favorites", kind of like a care package, that might have a book by a favorite author, a favorite movie, a book of crossword puzzles or find it search book, a bookmark and reading light, window markers or clings to cheer up, a stuffed teddy bear (are you ever too old? I don't think I will be...) favorite candies, crackers, gum, soup, etc. Fuzzy socks with no skid soles. A beautiful hairbrush/toiletries set or kit. A framed picture of family that can be set up or hung up immediately.

5. michelle

You guys are good! Thank you for the ideas! I'm making a list right now.

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

jack daniels

7. michelle

Really? How nice of you to suggest I give liquor to a dying person. Jackass.

8. michelle

Thank you, PRM. I will keep you and your family in my prayers as well.

9. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

Yes on the nice sheets, maybe a new pillow for her bed and a cozy blanket. Belks has the nicest pillows, very comfy! Maybe a memory foam topper for her bed to make it extra cushy? I got an awesome one at Belks after T-Giving on a good deal! Yes on the really soft socks with the no slip buttons on the bottom. I think they call them "Stay at home" socks. My Mom loves those b/c she says her feet stay cold all the time. I agree with the candles and some nice body lotion. Bath & Body has candles and their body lotions on a good sale right now.

Thought of something else...dont know if you have kids, but you know those recordable books that they advertize? I bet she would like hearing her grandkids read a story to her... or maybe you could read the book to her. Maybe that sounds cheesy, but I thought it may would be sweet..

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  10. lissa27504

lissa27504 Well-Known Member

I agree with the bedding idea!

Also, can you sew? Maybe you can cut the sleeves off of the long sleeve PJs and hem them so they are sleeveless?

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Michelle, when my mama was in the final stage of lung cancer one of my sister's got her a very pretty quilt/blanket from Kohl's. She fell in love with that thing! As a matter of fact, we decided to place it in her casket, laying from waist down like she used it most often. Before the family said our final good-byes, we removed her blanket and sent it home with my other sister who inherited my mom's bff...a 30 pound mutt. :) He was eventually buried in her blanker about 2 months ago.

Thinking of you, Lady. I don't wish your position on anyone. It's the hardest thing ever.

12. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

my mom likes audio books since she doesnt read much anymore. A basket with the lotions, shampoos, etc., love the sheet idea, hard candy if she likes that or teas that she may like.

Prayers are with you and your family :grouphug:

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

How about a photo album filled with family pics? I was working on one for my Dad...he had not seen any of his granchildren in years (in fact there was one he had never seen). Now they are all getting grown and having their own kids. So, I was putting in older pics of us kids and the grandkids along with new pictures of the grandkids now with the great-grandkids. Okay, since I never see these people, I swiped their pics from Facebook!

Anyway, let me know what kind/size gowns you are looking for. You said sleeveless, but is it the cotton, knit or silky-polyester kind and short or long?

Also, just spend as much time with her as possible, tell her you love her and know that we are all praying for you and your family.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  14. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

So sorry about your mom, sending prayers! As far as the gowns go, there is a place at the outlets, (i cant recall the name) but it is on the left by the Pepperidge Farm store that I feel certain has gowns like you are talking about. Maybe the Playtex/Bali outlet?

15. michelle

Thank you all so much for the ideas. I'm gonna check the place in Smithfield today.

And mostly, thank you for the prayers. I love my 4042 family! :grouphug:

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Michelle, i agree with Pirategirl, when i lost my Dad to cancer i had bought him a small throw and he loved it, was perfect size for just an extra bit of warmth, i still have it and it always reminds me of my Daddy. Prayers are still with you and your family and you too Mafiaman, i am so sorry you are both having to go through this, it is a heartbreaking time:grouphug:

17. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Just my two cents. I have only been training out on the floor for two days, today will make my third. But one thing I noticed is a lot of the patients have their own blankets and teddy bears and such. But I was thinking why not go to Build a Bear and get her a custom teddy just for her. You can put in one of those voice recorders and record your own message for her. This way even if you are not near by she can always have your voice there with her.

And it would be something that is totally custom for her.

18. michelle

Excellent idea, Rocky!

No luck on gowns at any place in Smithfield.

Love the blanket idea and I think I'm gonna go with that and some other "comfort" items for now and then after the holiday rush I am going to go to build a bear as suggested.

Thank you all!

19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Michelle, Your MOM and your family are in our prayers. Have a very blessed Christmas and Holiday season with her. I hope she has a wonderful Christmas too :)

20. Nemo

Nemo Guest

I'd say give her a bedside object just to look at that she will appreciate for the rest of her days and one that will remind her how much she has been loved when she sees it. It could very well be the last thing that she sees or thinks about and that passing thought would be a sweet one for her.