The Greatest Anything...now gone.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grinder, Dec 14, 2011.

1. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

This will probably really "date" me! LOL

Royal Villa used to serve a free buffet on Monday nights

Used to go dancing at "The Other Eye", "The Eye", "Johnny's SupperClub".

Eating at Baxley's on Hillsborough Street

My Apartment Lounge

Oh too many college memories!!!

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

The old 106.1 was decent. Now the old old old 94.7 WQDR (Before it went to 106.1) now that was a great station.

4. NCMAN919

NCMAN919 Active Member

Cleveland Chop House. Just for their all you can eat Brunch, wow was that great and at a good price!

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:cheers::iagree:

6. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Wow! That was a long time ago. As far back as I can remember it was 106.1. Guess I should preface that it was 1980-1981 when I probably first tuned in,

7. dangerboy

the old WQDR fm from 1973 to 1983 was a place at which the album rock "format" was invented. some of the early programming guys went on to be the biggest and most influential programming consultants in the industry. daniel was the prototype jock imho... i was honored to work with him for a short time at rock 93.9, the old WZZU in the early 90's, not to mention all the others at RDU.

both stations were great in their own ways in their own times, but pitting one against the other is kinda like trying to pit michael jordan against dr j...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WQDR-FM

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

From my 1976 12th grade year book.

Loved this place on Capital Blvd.

Just a parking lot now at Starmount Shopping center.

[​IMG]

9. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Met A LOT of great people at the Royal Villa. No doubt I saw her! :)

10. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Who can forget this fellow and his morning TV show and nightclub out on Poole Rd!?

Mama had it on every morning before school.

This pic is from 1964.

[​IMG]

11. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Oh man, if I had a nickle for ever Peppi's pizza I have ever had . . used to live very close by and we'd go there a LOT.

Godfather's Pizza was another great pizza place. Used to be one on Capital and one on Six Forks. They still have one in Myrtle Beach and that's the first thing I do when we go there . . order a large sausage and pepperoni.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I really miss Lane's Steakhouse. Best steaks I ever had came from there.

13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

14. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

When I was growing up, we used to go there after church on Sundays as a special treat for the buffet. I remember the heavy velvet drapes hanging from the windows.

15. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

16. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Any of the 4 Dewey's bakeries in Winston has it. Every time I'm passing through I buy 3 or 4. At least 2 make it to the house after the hour or so ride!:lol:

17. dangerboy

wow red barn and peppi's and the peanut man? y'all are breakin out the old raleigh stuff now....

18. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

I worked at the Godfathers up at S. Wilmington St. for a few years. It was my favorite pizza as well.

Thanks for letting me know about the sugar bread!