Playing in the backyard w/out a Parent?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by keemom, Jan 1, 2012.

1. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

At what age do you think it's OK to let your child play in their backyard without you out there with them? There's no fence or anything. Just curious to see what peoples opinions are! It seems like our neighborhood has some kids that are always outside unsupervised, and some kids that are never outside unsupervised.

2. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I don't know if there is an exact age. I think it can depend on how much they understand about safety. One problem I have noticed is that parents will let their older (7-8 yr old) children out and ask them to supervise a young (2 year old) child. So often, I see the older children get distracted with their own play and the young child will walk to the front of the house near the road before anyone is aware. As long as they understand that they must stay in a certain area if the yard and the parent watches, especially the first few times, to make sure they are staying there then it is fine. I don't care how old they are, though, I would still keep an eye on them through a window.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my boys played in the yard at the age of 4 and 5. I wasn't out there with them 100%, but I was supervising them from the window. But they were good boys and did what I told them (when I said "stay in the yard"). I think it depends on the kid(s). the worst thing mine did was play in the water, they loved to cut it on and play in it. But of course I could hear the water on from inside the house. Then when they got a little older, they were allowed to play in our cul-de-sac with neighbor kids at age 6-7-8...and ride bikes on our street. I always had my eye on them.

4. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

:iagree: (except mine gets in the dirt more than the water!) :cheers:

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Happy New year girl! :cheers:

6. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Imagine that.....LOL

7. emismom

emismom Well-Known Member

I have a 5 year old that i dont let go outside without myself or my husband with her because i have a sex offender that lives directly behind me through a wooded area. my sister has 3 kids and they go outside by thier selfs in her neighborhood because its safe. i think alot has to do with your surroundings.