Home Inspection Question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by DeniseL, Jan 4, 2012.

1. DeniseL

DeniseL Well-Known Member

We moved into a New home last January and now I have been getting a ton of mail from buidling inspectors about doing a 1 year home inspection before the 1 year runs out. Any recommedations if these are a good thing to do or not? Not sure if our builder would fix something even if they found it unless it was major. Thanks for the help!

2. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Does your builder not do a one year warranty inspection?

3. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want some builders doing their own 1 yr insp. it would be wise to have a independent one done.

4. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Had our home re-inspected 1 week prior to the 1 year warranty expiration. Several items were found and the builder fixed them immediately. The inspection was quite thorough and I'm certain he found items I never would have.

5. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on the builder, dh used to work for a home builder, and one of his jobs was to do inspections, he did 3, 6, 9 and 12 mos, and always had a laundry list for the pm when he was done.

6. DeniseL

No, our builder has not come around at all since we bought the house. Just had to call the contractors directly if we found something wrong.

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Wow, Denise...that sucks.

Our home builder, Tony Carroll has gone out of his way to make sure things were right and we were happy.

When we build our next one, we don't plan on having anyone else build it for us.
    I asked him about his followup and he told me simply that he lived and worked in this area and if he had a customer he saw in a restaurant who avoided him because they were unsatisfied with his work, that this would never be how he wanted to build. (Contrast that with a real dirt bag builder whose name used to adorn a certain plaza off 42.)

8. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

There are 3 builders in the area that i would have build a house for me. Tony is certainly one of them. I live in one of Tony's houses and am very happy with it.

10. DeniseL

Can anyone recommend a good Home Inspection service for the Clayton area?

11. MamaApe

MamaApe Well-Known Member

Clear choice home inspections, Jayme Clark. 919-550-6656, he is fantastic! I use him on almost all of my deals & have never been disappointed! Very thorough!
    PS its never a bad idea to have an independent inspection done.

12. DeniseL

Thanks for all the feedback.