I40 traffic between bypass and 42 exit

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gdogg79, Jan 10, 2012.

1. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

What is going on with the traffic on 40 just after the 70 bypass exit and up to the 42 exit? Did they make the length of the stop light longer - causing traffic to back up into 40 more? I come through that area between 5-6 at night; it has always been sluggish but since last week we are at a complete standstill.

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

It's been that way for 2 days now. I bet there will end up being a bad wreck there if they don't fix the problem soon.

3. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

last night, specifically it was an accident. It took me 1.5 hr to get home from Raleigh.

You are correct though...traffic has been HORRIBLE both directions for some time now. Any idea when they are going to give us our westbound lane back?

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I don't think they plan to - last I heard they would be making it a permanent thing.

5. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Or at least until they add a third lane all the way from the bypass to Bus. 70. I think that's scheduled to start in 2014 (we'll see if it really does).

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Clayton, N.C. — A lane shift designed to ease congestion on Interstate 40 in Johnston County is working so well that the North Carolina Department of Transportation plans to make it permanent. On Sunday, workers will re-stripe the lanes on I-40 westbound at U.S. Highway 70 (the Clayton Bypass) to eliminate a lane

http://www.wral.com/traffic/story/10621348/

7. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Yay NC DOT! they're so smart.

They pi$$ed away how many hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on the extra lanes only to close them. Of course, they'll reopen them in 2016+(?) when I40 out of JoCo gets widened. But by then they'll need to be repaved anyway...

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Dude!!!!
    My thoughts exactly. Why not just place a solid white line down on the edges of those lanes (no passing or lane change allowed) for that portion, place signs up and enforce it when people violate it. Enforced often enough, most folks will get the gist.
    So ridiculous to have spent all that money to pave the lanes jsut to block them off.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I heard from a buddy that lives out that way that the only reason that closing that lanes "worked" is because so many people got fed up and started taking 50 instead. He takes 50 and he said it takes him 30 minutes longer than it did before they closed the lane.

10. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

ball park, each lane costs about $1 million per mile. figure the length of that completed road and do the math.

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Why not just make it an HOV lane?

12. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

I think that's true. People are either taking 50 or Cornwallis/White Oak Rd down. Traffic on Cornwallis crossing over 42 is really bad in the morning now that more people are going straight towards White Oak instead of turning towards 40.