PRISM TV - CenturyLink

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tassy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Anybody got it yet? Opinions? We just found out our neighbor kicked TWC to the curb and went with the CenturyLink-PRISM package and he likes it(bundled cable, internet & phone).

PRISM is CL's fiber-optic service and is supposed to be better than regular cable or satellite. Their package prices right now also make it less expensive than what my TWC was, even with a bundled package price.

My current contract with TWC must have just ended because my package price jumped about $40. :?

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm all ears, we got a flyer about it last month, but neither I nor DH have had time to look into it. TWC has gotten out of hand. He did call and fuss and got the bill down about $20/mo, but I'm still not happy.

When things settle a bit, he is going to look into it further.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Is it satellite (needs a dish)?

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

nope.. its a fiber-optic network.

Here is a link to the info on it

Century Link has a store-front in F-V, I might go down there on Friday if I'm not working all day and play with their demo set-up.

http://www.centurylink.com/prismtv/?pid=p_115333988#index.html

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I get the fliers almost daily. When I go to their web site and put in my zip code (27527) they say it isn't offered to us yet. I emailed to ask if I should believe the flier or the web site. First response was yes, it is offered. I questioned it, second response, no it's not offered. I asked again, it's offered, upon following up they said it's not.

I decided to wait until they are a little better organized before I call them.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i'm with Dawn Tassy, let me know what you find out please

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Thanks. I'll look them up. Hopefully they have service in my area.

I'm not encouraged by the fact that their stores are closed on the weekends, though. :neutral:

8. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Good luck with that!

I had an appointment with CenturyLink ( 3 weeks in advance) to install DSL and PrismTV. I called 3 days before to confirm. They called the next day to remind me. I took off from work to be home for the installation. Guess what? They did not show or call.

Early the next morning (Saturday), they called to ask me if I was ready for that PrismTV to be installed. My reply was "sorry, forget it; you just lost another customer".

It has been over two weeks and NO one from that company has ever bothered to call and apologize for not showing up.

This behavior is one of the reasons they are a crappy phone company. I wonder just what quality of service you will get from them when you start having problems with PrismTV. I have since read about a number of complaints about this service and CenturyLinks' failure to respond in a timely manner.

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I would like to find out more. I want to know if they have it in South Plantation yet and what is the price after the introductory 90.00 a month for 6 months.

My two year contract with TWC is up next month and I am tired of them jacking me around.

10. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

We are scheduled to have it installed on Friday morning. Was supposed to be done on Tuesday, but due to a problem with the cables underground they had to reschedule. I have a friend who works with CenturyLink and his "job" was to watch tv for a few days and give feed back on the reception, clarity, etc. He now has it at his house and said he wouldn't go back to "dish". When I called to check into the different plans, I explained to the rep that I wanted to compare the channels with the ones I currently have on Dish Network and could not get the channels to print out -- I told him I definitely was interested - so I will now get the "Premium (or whatever - over 250 channels) for 3 months at the price of the level below that. At the end of 3 months I can change to the lower level or stay with the premium. Hopefully the tech can be here Friday morning at 8:00 and get this going. Will let you know what we think about Prism after a few days of watching.

11. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

I have had it for 2 months now and love it. They came when they said and the installation went quick and easy, and the guys made sure you knew what to do before they left. I have had no problems with it at all. And I am saving over 50 a month from dish network. (No I do not work for them) :)

12. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My two cents..

We switched to CL before Christmas.

1- When the first bill came, our discounts had not been applied. It took me two phone calls, and about an hour out of my day, but it did get fixed. I have yet to receive my free gift card for switching.

2-Although we certainly get more bang for our buck, I have been having problems with having to turn our router off and on because the internet freezes up about once a week. Now admittedly, I have not called them to have this fixed, mainly because I haven't had a free day to wait for a tech to come out.

FWIW, I think the channel selection is better, and I probably would like the whole package better if I could figure out why my internet keeps freezing.

13. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

There was a lady walking around the neighborhood passing out info on Prism. I called in later and set it up to be installed the 23rd of this month. The first guy we talked to said we would be getting the faster internet (from 1.5Meg currently to 10 Meg), along with the better package for TV. We asked if he could send something in writing as to what we were getting and he said yes. After not receiving anything we called back and the next person said we were not signed up for what we thought we were getting.

We started over with the new rep and "for my trouble" He gave all sorts of discounts. I asked him to type everything we discussed into the notes so I won't have any issues with the first bill. So we shall see! All the reviews I have read say the Prism is awesome and I'm looking forward to it.

Here is the deal I got for 4 TV's

No Installation charges

$161.26 minus discounts = $98.27 for 12 months

Regular Price $65.30 for phone with unlimited Long Distance and internet at 10 MEG
    -$15 Discount (Consists of $10 Loyalty discount and $5 any product discount.... If these exist 12 months from now we should still be able to get these discounts if we call.)
    Reg Price $69.99 for Prism TV with 4 boxes
    -$20 off Prism TV discount
    -$13 Prism up complete discount

Reg Price $11.99 for HD on all TV's
    -$11.99 Discount HD is FREE for 12 months
    $0.00 for 2 boxes
    $6.99 Extra Box
    $6.99 Extra Box
    -$3 Discount off 1 Box

No cancellation fees within 30 day satisfaction guarantee

$100 AMEX Gift Card after completing services for 8 weeks (will come via e-mail)

14. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I would be especially wary of the people walking around. We made the switch several months ago and it was a DISASTER!!! The guy in the neighborhood--we found out later--was a independant marketing rep, not a CL employee. The things he promised us did not happen. The installers did not hook everything up correctly. We ended up with 3 days without phone service. The customer service was horrible. I spent hours tryng to get things fixed. In the three days we had TV and internet the TV had lag and froze up and I felt the internet was slower.

Now we are getting bills for equipment that we gave back to the installer.

I would stay away from them

I have also taken a new life lesson--I do not enter into agreements with people who approach me. If I want to change my TV, etc I will contact the company myself so I know what I am getting comes right from the source.

15. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

No Installation charges

$161.26 minus discounts = $98.27 for 12 months

Regular Price $65.30 for phone with unlimited Long Distance and internet at 10 MEG
    -$15 Discount (Consists of $10 Loyalty discount and $5 any product discount.... If these exist 12 months from now we should still be able to get these discounts if we call.)
    Reg Price $69.99 for Prism TV with 4 boxes
    -$20 off Prism TV discount
    -$13 Prism up complete discount

Reg Price $11.99 for HD on all TV's
    -$11.99 Discount HD is FREE for 12 months
    $0.00 for 2 boxes
    $6.99 Extra Box
    $6.99 Extra Box
    -$3 Discount off 1 Box

No cancellation fees within 30 day satisfaction guarantee

$100 AMEX Gift Card after completing services for 8 weeks (will come via e-mail)

**********************************************[/QUOTE]

From our experience they told us the same thing--no cancellation fee and if you don't like it we will put everything back the way it was.

They did not and we had to pay $95 to get dish back out to re-hook un the wires because CL did not just disconnect--they cut the wires.

Also you have to drive to fuquay to return equipment.

16. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Rule of thumb for me: TV and internet should not cost more than my power bill.

17. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

I completely agree! I told the creepy looking lady that came to my door on New Years Eve...that I would contact the company if I wanted to get more information. With a bit of an attitude, she said well call me so I get the credit! I do not like solicitors coming to my door! (I need to put up a sign!) I was interested in the service, but like you, I know that some of these people will say anything to get their commission because they will not have to deal with it when the customer is really upset on the first bill!!! I don't blame them for getting out there and working for a dollar but it really taints a company reputation when shady salesmen make promises they can't keep.

I hate you had a bad experience. I am hoping that we won't have any problems. We currently have Century Link for internet and phone and I've not had any problems with them at all. We have Dish Network right now and from the reviews I have found Prism is better than Dish or the TERRIBLE TWC ( I have anger issues with them!).

I'll be watching in the first 30 days and will cancel if there are any issues. Fingers crossed there won't be!

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input so far!

:mrgreen:

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Booted cable and satelight TV over a year ago and it really was not that painful! :cheers:

20. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Whenever I have had to call about the dsl, I have asked for the tech to call me and allow whatever time needed to get to my house. If the person you are talking to gives you a hard time, just ask them if they don't have a space for remarks and ask that be put in there.