Of Watches and Cell Phones

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Based on another thread, I wondered why people still have/wear watches when cell phones have clocks that are far more accurate, and even readjust themselves for Daylight/Standard time and even differing time zones, for those that travel.

HidesInOBX pointed out that some people dont have (nor want) cell phones.

Which brought on another wave of curiosity...

Do you have a cell phone and/or a watch? (and what combination)

Related comments are welcome.

2. ECAVE

ECAVE Well-Known Member

No watch...cell phone only...been that way for the last 4-5 years.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I have MANY watches and a smart phone. I want both.

I LOVE watches. I don't want to dig in my purse to know what time it is. I don't want to carry my phone when I run/jog outside. I don't carry my phone in church(and several other places), so I wear my watch. I can't text/facebook/email/take pictures and phone from any of my watches, so I want my phone too.

4. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Cell phone, because I need one for work, and watch, because it belonged to my mom and it makes me feel closer to her since she passed away.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Well, it was supposed to be a poll, but somehow the poll question/answer(s) got left off (Gomer, I feel your pain). :)

Personally, I stopped wearing a watch. It didn't make sense, since I carry a cell phone in my pocket and it's easily retrieved. Also, I no longer have the silly white tan line on my wrist (which took a couple of years to fully disappear).

But for those of you who have both (aside from KellBell who already answered at the time of this post), why?

6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I do, since I have a KJV Bible app. I do set it to silent (not just vibrate), though.

7. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Since this great poll......

I vote no cellphone or watch........

The sun does my time telling.

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Didn't see this thread (using cell phone) but I responded in the other thread.

Have both, but to sum it up, I use the watch as a courtesy to others.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  9. OutdoorPlay

OutdoorPlay Well-Known Member

I tried to go without a watch and only use the cell phone, but I just missed the watch so now I have both. Solar G-Shock watch with atomic timekeeping, it receives time from a radio signal so it adjusts its own time and always has accurate time. Cell phone for the obvious, phone calls, camera, and video. I just find it easier to get the time on my watch than looking at the cell phone.

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I have a watch, and I pretend to talk in to it so that people don't think I'm weird.

Oddly enough it hasn't worked.

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I have a watch that DH gave me one year LONG time ago, I use my watch for checking the time. I really don't use my cell phone for the time, but for talking on the phone, facebook, weather, texting and alarm clock (since the clock in on the OTHER side of the bed)

what was the question again? LOL

12. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Watch. No cell phone.

13. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Love watches too .. used to have quite a collection, til I realized I was wearing the same one over and over for the most part... forced myself to give up "collecting". (Kinda like socks ... LOVE socks! Could go nuts buying socks! Nothing like the feeling of new, fluffy socks! But I digress ... *grin* )

But now ... mostly rely on the cell phone. Watch is/was quicker to glance at, didnt have to pull out the phone while I was driving or doing something else - could just glance at my wrist in a half-second. Still ... only the cell phone these days.

14. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I have an analog watch. You know the one with hands. It came in handy while doing clinicals. but didn't wear it before or after clinicals. If I need a second hand to do vitals I just pull out my cell phone and use the stop watch feature.

15. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

:iagree:

16. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

17. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Cool, if they were real. I'd wait till they came out with an Android version, though. :lol:

18. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I have both, mostly because a)my husband bought my watch for me and it is really pretty and expensive and is sentimental to me and doesn't need batteries so it is never dead, and b)I have a Sprint phone that royally sucks and just decides to randomly lock up and die on a fairly regular basis, and c)because I constantly forget my phone, and forget to charge my phone, and lose my phone and I am far less likely to lose my watch since it is strapped to my arm all day long :lol:

19. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

I pretty much stopped wearing a watch ...relying instead on my cell phone. Lesson learned today though...when I do not charge my phone and the battery goes dead ...not only am I without a phone, I also do not know what time it is. Purchased a car charger to hopefully avoid that problem in the future :)

20. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

There are clocks everywhere I go, I don't need a watch. I rarely wore one before the days of cell phones, they annoy me. I can't wear bracelets much for the same reason and have to remove all rings even I'm on the computer.