PRISM TV - CenturyLink

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tassy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Prism not available in my area. 27527

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Then I wonder why they are bombarding us with junk mails? That's aggravating.

3. arkpals2u

arkpals2u Well-Known Member

Called to have prism installed a few months ago. Read on line that hd was only available to 2 tvs at one time. Called CL to ask. They said even though the whole house would be wired for hd only 2 streams would come through at one time. The first two HD tvs to turn on would get hd stream any other would tv would get regular stream. being that we have 4 hd tvs and my sons tend to watch in their rooms, I chose to wait until all tvs could show in hd which we have with Direct. We have premium package, whole house hd and dvr for $114. a month. Prism looks wonderful but the end the savings wasnt going to be that much and felt hd tvs would be pointless if not hd feed.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

so did you go check it out and what did you think. Another question, what is their speed compared with Roadrunner?

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We're gonna get it installed Friday morning, so we shall see. The internet is 10.0, which is comparable to Roadrunner. With taxes and fees it is going to be about the same thing I pay now to TWC for cable/dvr/roadrunner, except that CL's price also includes home phone with unlimited long distance. We also get the "whole house dvr" for up to 4 TV's. There is no DVR box/service fee, but there is a monthly charge of $11.95 for their HD Service and $6.95/box/month after the first 2. Each TV has to have a box, only one will be the main box, the others are smaller boxes that read from the main box.

CL rep did tell me that CL doesn't re-up their offers to get you to stay at the end of promotional periods, etc. He said its because they are bound to their pricing by the FCC as a "utility" company and Time Warner a "private" company is not. I'm only contracted to the cable plan, the phone & internet could be dropped at anytime if we were to choose to do so. As someone else said, there is a 30 trial period, if we hate it we are under no obligation to stay with it within that time period.

I'll also add (for those that it matters to), the NFL Network channel is available on PRISM TV (TWC doesn't carry it).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  6. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

We have Prism/Centurylink bundle of cable/phone/internet. We've had it since November 29th.

My biggest suggestion is that you keep on Centurlink during the 30 day free trial to get everything perfect. If there are any issues with the service after the 30 days, its more difficult to get it resolved.

As far as the phone and internet, they are no different than any other service provider. I have all the same phone service I had through TWC and my internet seems less sluggish than TWC.

We recently purchased our 1st HD television during the after Christmas sales. I've called Prism and have been told that I can not get HD service to our house. Their cable is limited by the distance from their source to the home. Our home is beyond that magically cut off distance. We were NEVER told this during the sign-up process, the installation or the several visits of techs to our home to fix issues. The first time we heard of not being able to get HD to our home is when I called to add the service.

Don't get me wrong, we really do like Prism more than TWC. There is so much to like about it. However, they are limited to this 'distance' issue. We were told that as more and more customers sign up for Prism and the volume of customers increase, they will probably build a 'center' closer to our home which would then offer HD service to our home.

We have a neighbor 2 doors down who also signed-up the same night we did, however, they had their service installed earlier than we did. They came up and inquired as to all of the crews we had working at our home over the couple of weeks in early December. They had been having similar issues to what we were experiencing but were not getting anywhere with Centurylink. We explained that we continually contacted Prism directly and never called Centurylink. They went home and called Prism with all of their issues and had everything resolved in a couple of days. Apparently Centurylink folks are still not familiar with Prism (sort of like Centurylink offering Direct TV).

Hope this helps.

We are sticking with Prism and hoping that we might be offered HD service within the next year. If not, then we might consider shopping around again.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  7. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

We had Prism installed last week and really like it. We did have some "glitches" with the installation, but they were resolved quickly. We had DishNetwork and had started having some problems with that - i.e., "the smart card had been inserted wrong" - this message would come up while we were watching tv and no one had touched the smart card - just small things like that which were annoying. Either way - we switched to Prism for the savings factor. We also cannot get the HD feature because of distance. Other than that - we're pretty happy with the switch.

8. jumpin4joync

My suggestion is to make the call to begin the process to get this fixed. My internet is working much better than TWC. I test the speed sporadically and its much better than TWC was. Keep on them and demand that they make you happy. I had 2 crews here one night until 9pm working on issues. But I will say they did not show up until 6:30pm because they had to finish the work they were scheduled for that day and then came by after their last stop. One of the issues I had was the internet connection. I was completely satisfied by the time they left our home. (but I do have to say that I kept telling the techs that TWC beat their pants at internet speed and the techs took that challenge and worked until they made me extremely happy. I have not had any issues with the internet connection since.

9. jumpin4joync

We, too, have not received our gift card for switching from TWC. I called and was told to expect it about 6 to 8 weeks after installation. Since they offer 30 day free trial I can see where they would hold back until they believe we will remain with Centurylink/Prism.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

So any reviews yet on the service? Are you liking it & what are the benefits?

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Are there any more current Century Link reviews to offer?

12. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Same experience here.

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

We're still happy with them

:)

14. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

We are still happy with Prism!

15. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

Shopping for new TV service any new news on CL and 27527 area?

16. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if Prism is available in Archer Lodge/ East Clayton area?

17. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

With the new TWC modem fee, I called CenturyLink to see what their costs for internet only would be. She said that we are eligible for 10 mbps internet and Prisim tv in this area - Cornwallis & 42 (Pleasant Woods). The cost for internet only is $54.44 which is more than I am paying for TWC internet only including the new modem fee.

I'm surprised they aren't offering a better deal to new customers, even if it is only for 12 months or so.

18. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

TWC frustration

We switched to TWC because of a promo & RR was the only game in town. It has been one issue after another. Channels not coming in, no cable at all, etc. call spend 30 minutes on the phone with "tech support" & nothing is resolved. Cause I already know how to reboot the box which is the extent of their support. Now another day waiting for a home visit. At least we don't have to take off work. Husband just went upstairs and the box reads, E 13, so , he rebooted. Got a message of OCAP, alt, cnF9, then back to E13.

Please let me know if Century Link is at least reliable.

Thanks!

19. Lucky1

Lucky1 Well-Known Member

Hey Lolly, sounds like you might have a bad box. You might want to try switching it out over by Lowe's Foods on hwy70 in Clayton. We do this if we start to have a problem with boxes, modems, remotes, etc. Just a thought before waiting around for a home visit. BTW, we are not all that happy with TWC either and would love to hear back on Prism in the East Clayton area too.

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I have had it for about 2 months now. The product is okay, but they have a long way to go. I don't like the remote, digital menus, favorites, etc. It is not intuitive at all. The digital signal is a little garbled, the phone has a hum (could be my cheap handset thought), and the internet can disconnect at times (comes back quickly).

It was nice to break free from TW, but I am not ruling out going back once I can re-qualify for 'new' customer rates. It also doesn't hurt that CenturyLink essentially gave me gift cards and a tablet PC (about a total of $700 in incentives). I also have digital TV, 10Mgbps internet and all inclusive phone for about $115 on a 5 year price lock.

Customer service, however, has been...let's say quite trying. The first two weeks my TV would freeze and I spent close to 14 total hours on a phone and with technicians, just for someone to finally re-run a line to the house. I was hung up on, brushed off, you name it. I was compensated after asking to discuss my ordeal with a manager.

That's my two cents.

P.S. Do yourself a favor and if you are going to sign up, do it over an online chat. This way you'll have a written record of what the salesperson promised you. That has helped my case tremendouosly.