Joggers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Feb 3, 2012.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Who are all these people taking over Josephine? Yesterday afternoon we were almost hit head on by cars/school bus trying to avoid hitting people (about 20+ strung out along Josephine). There are no sidewalks people if you are going to walk/run you need to stay well off the pavement. You do not have the right of way.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/download/bikeped_laws_Ped_Laws.pdf

Under North Carolina law, pedestrians have the right of way at all intersections and driveways.

However, pedestrians must act responsibly, using pedestrian signals where they are available.

When crossing the road at any other point than a marked or unmarked crosswalk or when walking along or upon a highway, a pedestrian has a statutory duty to yield the right of way to all vehicles on the roadway.

It is the duty of pedestrians to look before starting across a highway, and in the exercise of reasonable care for their own safety, to keep a timely lookout for approaching motor vehicle traffic.

On roadways where there is no sidewalk, pedestrians should always walk facing traffic.

3. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

And slowing down for 2 minutes would really ruin your day. Thanks to all who give runners a little room.

4. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Perhaps one of them will read this and inform the others.

5. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Thanks again to all who give runners and walkers a little room. We appreciate it.

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:jester: and :iagree: There are plenty of wonderful walking/running trails to be found, none of which I drive on by the way. It's bad enough to have to put up with groups of arrogant bikers. Runners need to be on tracks and trails. You just put yourself and others at risk being out on the road.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Josephine is NOT a good road to run or walk on. No one goes the speed limit, I have to pull out in a curve every day from work and pray I make it before some idiot going 70 takes me out.

Do you want to be self righteous or alive?

You couldn't pay me to walk or run on the side of that road.

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

9. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

+1

10. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

If anybody takes Shotwell off Amelia to 70 to get to Lowe's or CVS look out for little old ladies. One from the retirement apartments on the hill (whatever they are) had just gotten past the bridge going home with her little bag when I went past. People FLY on that road and the bridge is very narrow. I swear If I had met her on the bridge I would have creamed her. She was also one of those that wouldn't step to the side of the road as I went by. As a rule, I give pedestrians a wide berth. But said pedestrians should consider that may not be an option.

11. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab at this. They have a 5k there in a month so my guess is some may be training. But thanks for the heads up that yall will run over my butt when I go. Guess I better learn to tuck and roll LOL...

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I think you'll be safe that day! :) If it is an announced event, I don't mind so much. I know to expect it and can choose to avoid the area for the duration of the run. Just don't think it is wise for a pack of folks to be running main roads without some kind of notice. That being said, I did almost take out a neighbor at 20 mph one night because it was dark and they were wearing dark clothes. No tuck and roll, but they did hop the ditch. :mrgreen:

13. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

Road will be blocked of during the race. You will be safe :)

14. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

yea but I want to go before race day so I can get a feel of the course and what kind of torture I have signed up for :jester:

15. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

It's not bad. If they keep the same as last year you run around the large parking lot in front of the church, down the hill beside the church (that may be Josephine Rd. not sure, back up the hill and back around the same parking area.