wanna better your odds?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sirputz, Feb 10, 2012.

1. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

With the powerball being so large, why don't we as a community go in and purchase tickets together? I'll put in 2 bucks...who's with me? We can buy the tickets Saturday at noon (for a deadline) at the new sheetz on 50&210 (so we can get our free coffee) and pray for a win....if no takers, I won't be there...must reply to this thread for me to show up.

And if it doesn't go, we can try again on wed. Heck 310 million split 40 ways @ 72% payout (to take a chunk out for taxes) is 5.5 million each....I'm good with that!

2. sirputz

Ok with 56 views and no takers I'm guessing you all don't want to make a small investment and have the chance for a h uge return. Oh well...if I win, guess I'll be richer than expected.

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

I banked on 4042.com facebook win. I "LIKED" it!!!!

4. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

lottery pool + bunch of internet strangers = huge freaking mess

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

so your odds are improved from 1 in 5billion to 1 in 4,999,999,970.

good luck brah

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I will buy my one little ticket. I figure if I'm meant to win, one ticket is all I need. :mrgreen:

7. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Yea, I am buying my usual tickets myself also, but it didn't hurt to LIKE 4042.com on fb :D

8. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

How much is it up to now?? :allears:

I've never bought a ticket, I personally don't think the $$ goes to what it's supposed to go to or what it was MEANT to go to so there. :p

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

310 MILLION, cash payout appox 190+million

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i'm gonna go buy a ticket in a little bit, can't hurt to give it a try, i just want to $$ to go to me:jester:

11. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

i could handle that

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

u sure

13. sirputz

Actually, according to the ads, odss of winning are 1 in 1.72 million...so my odds are much better than you quoted....and heck I figure why let all the factory workers win...let a community win for once...we'd be the first in history for a small area to share a prize

14. fooser

fooser Active Member

Powerball Jackpot for Sat, Feb 11, 2012 $325,000,000 = Cash $202,900,000
    - 25% Federal Tax - $50,725,000 = $152,175,000 North Carolina: 7%
    State Tax - $14,203,000 Your net payout: $137,972,000

15. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Someone from RI won Powerball. Mafia? Probably had tickets for all possible combinations. What would it have cost to have purchased tickets for every number combination? Is there a mathetician in the Forum?

16. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I've thought about that too, Bucky. But I would think it would be a time constraint, more than anything. How long would it take to print out those MILLIONS of tickets, and how many people would it take to get it done
    ??? :confused:

17. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

My idea matches my investment portfolio. Always losing. Just found my answer.
    "Powerball Total Combinations
    Since the total number of combinations for Powerball numbers is used in all the calculations, we will calculate it first. The number of ways 5 numbers can be randomly selected from a field of 59 is: COMBIN(59,5) = 5,006,386. (See the math notation page or Help in Microsoft's Excel for more information on “COMBIN”).

For each of these 5,006,386 combinations there are COMBIN(35,1) = 35 different ways to pick the Powerball number. The total number of ways to pick the 6 numbers is the product of these. Thus, the total number of equally likely Powerball combinations is 5,006,386 x 35 = 175,223,510. We will use this number for each of the following calculations."

Each ticket costs $2.00. So I would have spent $350 million for a $320+ million dollar lottery. LOL

18. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Well you have to remember this is just a voluntary tax!

Having actually taught statistics courses in the past I would be banned from teaching it again if I actually bought a ticket (receiving them for free from our 4042 Overlords is still acceptable).

Gcoats, you might ask why I didn't speak up earlier, well the old "If you don't use it you lose it" saying is true, I would have spent a while cracking the books before I could answer.