For PRM and WolfLupis

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by KellBell, Feb 16, 2012.

1. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

2. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

*Sigh.....When are the State people going to stop trying to pretend that a rivalry exists between them and Carolina???! :banghead:You are not on the same level!! Carolina's rival is dOOk:ack:. Everyone knows that. That having been said, those yahoos did a fine representation of State fans.:twisted:

3. KellBell

ummm, no where did anything or anybody say 'rivalry'. :roll:

typical Tarhole :ack:

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I'm not from around here, so really have no loyalty to State or UNC .. to me, it all breaks down to rooting for the Wolfpack because I like wolves ... or the tarheels because I like the color blue. I'm torn! Where are the blue wolves?? Now THAT'S a team I'd root for! ;)

5. pocahontas

You can find lots of blue wolves right after NC State plays Carolina in basketball...(about 3 1/2 weeks ago) 8)

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

sounds like someone needs a little lesson in local/acc basketball history

ncsu hired everett case from out of indiana in the early 50's. unc countered by hiring frank mcguire from st johns. case started the dixie classic at reynolds, mcguire won a championship in 1957. these two guys, especially case since he was here first and established the tourney, are the two guys who brought modern basketball here and made it popular. duke caught up 10 years later and had some decent teams in the 60's and 70's, but it was the state/unc rivalry that led the dixie classic into becoming the acc tournament and the league was born of that. duke had some decent coaching runs (bubas, foster) and some moderate success, but never a championship until coach k had been there 10 plus years.

**** vitale and espn have hyped the duke/unc rivalry, and admittedly due to lack of competition from ncsu, has been the most competitive rivalry over the last 25 years. it was ncsu/unc that made this the center of the college basketball universe. it was nc state that dethroned wooden. it was unc that produced the greatest pro basketball player ever. it was ncsu that produced the greatest college player ever. it was unc beating georgetown and ncsu beating unlv in back to back years that established the acc nationwide, and within pop culture, as THE basketball conference. it was dean smith who broke adolph rupp's records and whose four corners brought on the shot clock, and it was norm sloan beating maryland in triple overtime that had fans and coaches demanding the expansion of the ncaa tourney above 24 teams.

oh, and duke was in there too. played some decent basketball. but didn't join the "elite" until well into coach k's reign, some time in the late 1980's/early 1990's, a full 40 years after case and mcguire.

not opinion. fact.

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

You are an idiot

8. pocahontas

:grouphug: S'all good! I know you had a rough night last night...8)

I just have to say that I was actually pulling for NC State to win, since that is always better than dOOk winning. Tough loss. My condolences.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Go to hell

10. pocahontas

...dOOk! Had to finish the UNC Fight song that you started to sing right then. :jester:

11. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

My thoughts were that at the end of the game last night we looked just like UNC playing Duke a week or two ago....letting the lead slip away.

12. KellBell

13. pocahontas

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Yeah, all bets are off when Duke and Carolina meet in Football every year to play for the Tinker Bell or whatever they call that thing. Their football rivalry ranks right up there with Bucknell and Lehigh.

Oh wait, let me guess, you're a Carolina fan in basketball and a Florida State fan in football.

15. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

If you were any kind of UNC fan you know the UNC fight song ends with "go to hell State."

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

What do ECU and UNC fans have in common?

They both love UNC basketball.

17. pocahontas

It was unofficially updated in the 90's. We've moved up a notch. 8)Ask a current student for verification. You might be showing your age??:idea:

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

perhaps i am

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

ROLL TIDE!!!! GIVE 'EM HELL ALABAMA..

20. pocahontas

NC State = NOT UNC's archrival :roll:
    dOOk :ack:= UNC archrival

ECU = NC State archrival :lol:

UNC > NC State :hurray: