May be looking for a new doctor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Mr.X, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I have been thru a couple doctors in the past few years. I had one @ Garner Family Practice. When I needed them, I couldn't get to see them. I went to a new doc in Cary. Nice guy, I like him. He is attentive and takes his time. The problem is the practice. His last partner moved and they have been looking for a new one. I had a physical on 1/31, they collect lab samples and give you a number to call 2 weeks later to get results. As of 2/17 I have been unable to get my lab test results!! I have called twice about it, I even got a bill for a lab co-pay for lab results I haven't gotten!!! Does anyone one know of a local doctor they like (especially men out there). I have high cholesterol and would like to know if I have been able to get it under control.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Dr. Dawkins over at Horizon is great, I had to leave him recently and I really regret it.

They kept tabs on my Cholesterol and am keeping it pretty well under control.

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Garner Internal Medicine at White Oak, Garner. All 3 physicians are Board Certified Internal Medicine. Physicians are Steven Turner, Jeffrey Breiner and Karen Mayer. My primay care physician is Dr. Turner. I have also seen Dr. Breiner. Both are great. Also James McCann is the best PA I have ever seen. Great practice and I get all lab work reports within 3-4 days.

http://www.garnerinternalmedicine.com/

4. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I get my labs done through Direct Labs. Same tests, same results at a fraction of the price. In Dec, I ordered a CWP with was all blood labs, Chol, Fasting Plasma Glucose, TSH, ALT and a bunch of other tests. I got the test for about 75 bucks, as I recall, on a special deal.

Checking the website, Directlabs.com, the CWP I had is available, without doctors orders, and lab results provided to you (can be provided to your doctor as well) within 72 hours post test. The charge for that test is 97 bucks. I had my blood drawn at the Labcorp place off Lombard Ave, near 70.

The "Cardioplus" test they offer measures lipids, cholesterol, kidney and liver function tests and glucose test as well. That test is 45 bucks, which is a lot cheaper than your doctors lab will charge you.

My physician is part of a huge practice. As such, he understands that spending 600 bucks or 100 for for the same tests and results is a no brainer.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

Hatt6, that is interesting but I would have no idea what to order. I am just really annoyed at the practice right now

6. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

:iagree: They do lab tests right there at their practice; it is included with our co-pay, even if I need to go back for testing at a separate time (thyroid) without the appointment. This is important to me, as I left my previous doctor for charging me extra each time I needed a lab test. I see Angela Keene there, and she is great, on top of everything, and is helping me with diabetes management/weight loss with her pep talks and meds adjustment when I need them 8)

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

The Complete Wellness Panel (CWP) is what I order. Gives the usual tests my doc orders. Results are provided to you with standard reference values.

As an example, if your TSH value is 7.5 and the range of values for a 'normal' TSH is 0.5 to 5.0, the lab test results would suggest hypoactive thyroid, (TSH bears an inverse relationship to thyroid function), If the value is 0.2, the indication is that your thyroid is hyperactive.

All results are provided for you.

Best of luck!