A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Hmmm, will Johnston County Schools call me at 4:30 a.m. to tell me that I don't have to get up at 5:30? :lol:

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard from our Queen?

It has been close to two months know.

3. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Happy 8th Birthday to my sweet boy today!!

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday to your cutie patootie! and Happy day-you-gave-birth to you. :mrgreen:

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I have been wondering the same. I will call and check up on her.

6. SunShine26

SunShine26 Well-Known Member

Anyone know what's going on the corner of Booker Dairy and Buffalo rd in Smithfield??

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Are you talking about construction? I know that SECU is building a new branch in that area.

8. SunShine26

Yes. That seems like a weird place for a bank. I was thinking it would be a gas station or something. Also looks like they're putting in another "back" road a little farther down from there. Not sure where that's going come out at.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

I know that they own a bunch on land on that corner and that a branch was planned, not sure if that's what is going up now. I also vaguely recall that they donated or loaned some of the land for something, I just can't remember what it was.

Oh - this is important.... SECU is not a bank. :lol:

10. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

My "little" girl got her first job today!

11. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Can I just say that.......if you need legal help, when you come in to the office, allow the person you meet with to do their job and give you the information you need. Just because you did all the "research" on it before coming in, does NOT mean you KNOW it all now.. If that were the case, you would NOT need to be in the office to start with ;). The internet is VAST wealth of info but, in the same respect, it can give just enough info to make YOU dangerous... Doing this is about equivalent to someone searching ouot WebMD.com and self diagnosing themsleves... WAY way way stupid.....

JUUUSSST sayin......

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

According to Webster's Dictionary, a "bank" is defined as...

How is SECU not a bank?

13. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

In many definitions of a bank you will see the word customer -

"A financial establishment that invests money deposited by customers, pays it out when required, makes loans at interest, and exchanges..."

A Credit Union does not have customers, it is owned by members.
    Pick that apart if you'd like, there are huge differences between a bank and a Credit Union.

14. SunShine26

I guess we'll see eventually! Wonder where the road farther down is gonna lead to?

And, sorry...Credit Union! lol

15. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Semantics

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

From Wiki

Differences from other financial institutions

Credit unions differ from banks and other financial institutions in that the members who have accounts in the credit union are the owners of the credit union[8] and they elect their board of directors in a democratic one-person-one-vote system regardless of the amount of money invested in the credit union.[9]
    Generally speaking, credit unions see themselves as of "higher moral ground" than banks; they feel that they are "community-oriented", and "serve people, not profit".[10][11][12][13][14]
    Surveys of customers at banks and credit unions have consistently shown a significantly higher customer satisfaction rate with the quality of service at credit unions.[15][16]
    A credit union's policies governing interest rates and other matters are set by a volunteer Board of Directors elected by and from the membership itself.[17] Credit unions offer many of the same financial services as banks, often using a different terminology; common services include: share accounts (savings accounts), share draft accounts (checking accounts), credit cards, share term certificates (certificates of deposit), and online banking.[2]
    Normally, only a member of a credit union may deposit money with the credit union, or borrow money from it.[2] As such, credit unions have historically marketed themselves as providing superior member service and being committed to helping members improve their financial health. In the microfinance context, "[c]redit unions provide a broader range of loan and savings products at a much cheaper cost [to their members] than do most microfinance institutions".[18]
    Field of membership

Legally, and for tax purposes, credit unions are considered to be non-profits. Banks assert that since this status exempts credit unions from many federal and state taxes, credit unions can provide more competitive products.[19] This has led to a variety of laws which limit how credit unions may accept members. Historically, this meant credit unions were left with the individuals which banks found to be less desirable or those in a limited geographic area. More recently, credit unions have been able to broaden their eligibility requirements to accept more members.[citation needed]

17. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

It's more than that to me. Joined in 1991 when I got my first teaching job. Never looked back. I have always known the name of my loan officer and branch manager...and they know mine. Their rates are competitive and they are NICE! I can call when I need something and get what I need, often on the same phone call. I think it's a hoot that so many are changing to credit unions now since their banks have folded, screwed them over, and not given a damn if their customers went down with the ship. It's more than semantics to me.

18. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:hurray:

I can't wait to say those words!

19. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

:cheers:

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

didn't know you had a 'little girl'? :lol: