Teen drivers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by 2not2, Jan 14, 2012.

1. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Okay, parents...tell your kids to be careful out there and make sure they are aware of the new laws about speeding, especially. I can't find the info on DMV website, but here is a link to a news story:

http://www2.journalnow.com/news/201...ace-new-driving-laws-as-of-sunday-ar-1760843/

This happened tonight to my son's friend while they were out. I do hate that his friend was carted off to the courthouse, and even after my son got home, he was still pretty shaken up. BUT, at least now they know that this is serious and MAYBE it will make them slow down.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

They are both alive. I would say that's a pretty good night. As for mine, they do not ride with any other teen drivers and they are not allowed to haul other kids around. They drive or we drive. Personally, I don't mind the new laws. I am tougher on mine than the law anyway, but losing your license for going 15 over or over 80 is not unreasonable. Next time, they might not be lucky enough to walk away.

3. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

No, I don't mind the new laws at all. My son is already 17 and has his full license, but many of his friends are still on the "after 9's". Last night just proved my point about having too many people in the car. They don't pay attention...when I asked how fast his friend was going his response was "None of us realized how fast he was going.". Exactly. And yes, I am glad that nothing worse happened but I do hope that it opens their eyes. There are going to be some major changes around our house about who/how many my son rides or drives with!

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

You can't be too careful when it comes to them driving or riding with others. Our kids were on a church trip with the youth leader and come to find out, they had been riding to the function with a teen driver. We had a fit. They were supposed to be riding with the leader. That started a conversation long before they ever got licensed. Now we are sure to ask and let our feelings be known up front.
    Flash forward...a few weeks ago a car with 4 teens came to our house and tried to get my son to go bowling with them. The driver had just gotten his provisional license the week before. He was driving a full size Bronco with 3 other teens in the car...against the law. I was proud of my son. He told them no thanks. Later, we talked about how the driver was breaking the law and putting the others at risk and that he can meet them there in the future if he gets invitations. I doubt the parents knew what he was up to.
    With two deaths last week (both of them were passengers), we are not going to change our perspective. I cannot imagine what those parents are going through. I am glad your son is okay and I am glad you shared your experiences. It helps to get the word out!!!

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

do you know the parents? if so, I'd certainly question them about it. just think of the consequences if he did have a wreck - even if there are just injuries - those parents could sue him/them for everything they've got! :cry:

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

My daughter has a friend that got carted off to jail last week for the same thing...

7. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

It's about time somebody really cracks down on teen driving issues. I feel like some parents feel like they have no accountability or responsibility when it comes to their kids driving. I have had several students lose their lives in car accidents, and it is devastating. We have a lot of years to go, when my kids are legally able to drive, it will still be up to me to decide if they are mature and responsible enough to operate a vehicle. If they do get their license at 16, we will have a one strike and you're out system. If they mess up, they will have to go back to driving like they have a permit, with us only. Parents should also remember to give them lots of practice driving when they have their permits. I know of parents who never let their kids drive on a permit, then gave them a car and license and sent them off. What sense does that make? I've also heard parents complain, saying if they did take their child's car away, they would have to take them everywhere again. They might as well be saying that they would rather risk their kid's life than have to play chauffeur for a while longer. And maybe that's just part of the punishment, they don't get to do everything they want to do, when they want to do it. Parents should talk about these consequences with their teens before they are on the road.

IMO...I am a parent, and I'm responsible for every aspect of my children's
    lives until they are independent adults. That includes behavior, school, morals, work ethic, etc. If you can't tell, one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing parents blame the law for being to hard on their kids or try to get their kids "out" of trouble when they've done something very wrong. Also, when they have nothing to do with their child's education and blame a teacher for their child's progress, taking absolutely no ownership. I have known parents who see failing grades all year long and don't seem to care, then flip their lids when the final grade is failing. Get involved and stay involved.....it's your job! Maybe I should go over to the rant thread :evil: Sorry, I'm done.

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I think that another part of this also lies with the parents and the vehicle choices they are making for these kids. While not every parent does this there are plenty that do. And that would be to go out and get their kid some hot new car to start driving in.

And while a 2002 Nissan Sentra isn't going to stop kids from driving over 80, it isn't as tempting in that type of car as it is in a brand new 2012 Chevy Camaro with 400 HP.

9. LovingLife10

I agree. They are more likely to want to race or show off how fast their car is. I also feel like boys especially want to show off trucks, whether it's the loud pipes or just racing them. I pretty sure the fatal accident involving the South Johnston teens a year or so ago was on trucks and one of them was "playing around" with the other trying to pass him. I thought it was the end of the world when my dad didn't get me the Trans Am I had begged for when all of my friends were getting Camaro SSs and Mustang GTs. They all wrecked their cars within the first year and I never wrecked mine in the 5 years I drove it. Not saying it was the car alone, but I do think it played a factor.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Amen!! The kid that died on my road last year was in a souped up pick-up truck. I used to hear him wailing on it up the hill all the time prior. If my son gets a car, it won't be anything to brag about or try to show off in, that I can guarantee. Hope my little Caliber hangs in that long, it would be about perfect. Lots of airbags, but not much horsepower.

I do not understand buying 16 year old expensive death traps.

11. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

The story on WRAL today abouth the 3 students in a wreck @ West Johnston this morning ( http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/10764078/) made me think to bring this up again. Not saying these kids were doing anything wrong; seems like it was minor accident, thank goodness, and I hope everyone is okay.

Here's the thing that is beyond my comprehension. When I first brought this subject up about the new traffic laws, I was hopeful that it would start making kids take a better look at how they respond behind the wheel. I know of 2 kids personally that have been 'arrested' for speeding under the new law...and BOTH of them were going over 90 MPH.

Now, they have BOTH gotten out of the charges and barely got a slap on the wrist! Why have the laws if they are not going to be enforced? So, now all the kids see is that they CAN get away with speeding after all, so this has accomplished NOTHING!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Go back and read my earlier post concerning the parents contribution in this. It is also probbly the parents who pony up for lawyers to get these "priviledged" kids off with nothing but a slap on the wrist.

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing but that is not the case with one of these kids.

14. LovingLife10

And it's not just about what the parents are doing to get them out of it, but also what they are doing to punish their children after the fact. I bet most of these kids are still driving. It might seem over the top, but if my kid got a ticket for going that speed, the court wouldn't have to enforce the law, because I would. The kid would not be driving until they proved they were mature enough to handle it. Maybe the court system should be doing more, but ultimately it's the parent's job parent the child and that includes discipline in response to breaking the law. When are parents
    going to stop expecting the world to raise their children?

***I'm not saying the courts shouldn't be doing more. I'm just saying they aren't the only ones accountable here. It just seems like most people do not even acknowledge the parents role in the problem.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  15. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:iagree: When I was a teen under my mom and dad's roof, I was too scared of THEM to drive stupidly! My dad told me from the beginning that if I got a ticket for anything, the keys were his and the car would be sold. I KNOW he would have followed through.

16. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I've always been under the assumption that driving is a privilage, not a right. The police want our kids to slow down. We as parents don't want to lose our children in a wreck. You would think in a county that has lost as many teenagers as Johnston county, the courts would take a tougher stand.

17. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Why we're at it lets not forget the idiot adults out there as well. I'm tired of the idiots that fly down Cornwallis Road into Wake county every morning as if their out on I40, riding my bumper even when I'm going 5 over the speed limit myself (which is as fast as I go over the limit). Stay off my freakin bumper you idiot adults, set your alarm clocks, prepare your crap the night before and leave your homes in time to drive to work in a safe manner. Lets talk about the idiots on the GreenField Parkway where its 35 mph and everyone uses it as a short cut by speeding 55-60 mph, one day someone is going to get killed by you idiots, a lot of the older people in the neighborhood across the street use that parkway to walk in the mornings, there's blind curves where the transfer trucks park on the road etc. Simple solution for you jerks is to set the alarm earlier and get your lazy butts out of bed. Once you get on I40 feel free to blaze ahead of everyone you idiots.
    My rant for the day and feel better about.:)

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: and they're probably not even late for work!