Volunteering for JC Animal Shelter

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Tbo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Tbo

Tbo Active Member

Has anyone volunteered at the Jo Co Animal Shelter? They said they are really in need for someone to walk the dogs there.

2. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

The Clayton SPCA had some bad publicity on the local NBC news at 6:00 PM

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Lets not get them confused.... there is the Johnston County Animal Shelter in Smithfield.

Then there is the Clayton SPCA, thats who was on tonites NBC 17 news at 6:00. They are on Durham St. right off of Hwy 70.

Here is a link to the news coverage tonite

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/johnston...d-deplorable-former-wo-ar-2000034/#fbcomments

I guess I would be one of those radicals that think all animals should have access to fresh water at all times. :?

Here is a link to the Facebook group that is so concerned for the welfare of these animals.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Clayton-SPCA-Discussion-Group/219707701458376

There is a town council meeting monday night that a number of people from the group are planning to attend.

Below is a picture that was taken at the shelter, reportedly through an open window, at the shelter last night. In addition to this is also a picture of a dog that was left outside in the fenced area, in the rain and storms.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  4. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

The pictures from that site are disgusting. The place should be shut down.

I guess that makes me a radical too.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Paint me as a radical too. I'm going to be there.

6. Tbo

Tbo Active Member

I'm there too

I would like to particpate in this also. It made me sick to my stomach to see these pictures and how these animals must live. How do you make your voice heard? or where?

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Monday 3/5@ 7:15PM at The Clayton Center

Beginning at 6:30, there is going to be a walk of support from the parking lot on the corner of Main Street and Lombard (42). A group is getting together to walk to the Clayton Center from there.

8. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

It sounds like instead of criticism this place needs volunteers.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

People have been trying to volunteer for years and get the door slammed in their face. Perhaps read the FB page there NCMOM.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

One can't volunteer if they aren't allowed inside the shelter.

11. DancerRaquel

DancerRaquel Guest

12. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I just saw this thread. What ever happened about this? Did the walk happen? The meeting? (I may have my dates wrong). Could someone tell me what can be done to help?

Thanks in advance.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, the walk happened on Monday night and yes the Town Council meeting was well attended. There are several write up in local media including the N&O, WRAL and NBC17 as well as the Clayton News Starr. There are also a lot of links on the FB page. My understanding is that they are discussing receiving help from Wake SPCA. The page on Facebook is Clayton SPCA Discussion Group.
    https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Clayton-SPCA-Discussion-Group/219707701458376

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Don't know iof it's related (is there a difference between the SPCA and the "animal shelter"?), but this was in the news yesterday...

Johnston County SPCA owner defends against neglect allegations

Clayton, N.C. — The owner of the Johnston County SPCA in Clayton defended her practices Monday in the face of a Facebook campaign alleging neglect.

Susan Dunaway, a former employee of the shelter, alleges that owner Malinda Barefoot neglects animals and does not put enough of them up for adoption. The facility is only open by appointment.

In a tour Monday, WRAL News found animals being cleaned and fed. Barefoot initially tried to limit WRAL's access to areas recently cleaned, but eventually agreed to open two rooms that had been off limits.

--MORE--

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That is the facility being discussed.

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Wake County SPCA is supposed to be going down there today and trying to work some arrangements out with Melinda Barefoot, the shelters main caretaker. From what I understand, she is also supposed to be allowing adoptions on Saturday. BUT, you have to go with her application filled out, 2 letters of reference and a letter from your vet.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/NC211.html

17. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

What's going to happen once Melinda retires in June?

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the facility will be shut down and animals with either go to JCAPL or Wake SPCA.

The place is a mess, I've seen it from the outside with my own two eyes. A bulldozer would be a kindness.

19. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Clayton, N.C. — Nine dogs from a Johnston County shelter where the owner is facing allegations of neglect were moved Wednesday to the Wake County SPCA.
    Concerned citizens took to Facebook to raise questions about care for animals at the Johnston County SPCA in Clayton. A former employee has alleged that owner Malinda Barefoot neglects animals and does not put enough of them up for adoption. The facility is open only by appointment.
    Barefoot, who plans to retire in June and close the shelter, said she has devoted nearly three decades to animals at the shelter and would never neglect them.
    Still, she and the shelter's Board of Directors asked the Wake County SPCA to step in and help.
    It wasn't clear whether the Wake shelter would take in more animals from Barefoot's facility, but the nine dogs that arrived Wednesday were being held at a kennel on U.S. Highway 70.
    http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10826416/