vehicle license plate back - 30 days or not

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WhatNow, Mar 7, 2012.

1. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

My somewhat elderly neighbor was pulled over on a random plates check. Her tag was expired, inspection overdue & had no insurance :?

They, of course, took the plates right then & the vehicle was towed. She lives alone mostly because her husband works out of state for weeks at a time. She thought he had taken care of all of this & was floored when she got pulled over. Not a good situation there anyway.

I am trying to help her get her plates back. She now has insurance & car is being inspected today. I am taking her to a license plate office tomorrow. I called them today (she refuses to call herself but I don't want to drive all the way there for nothing) & was told that she will not get the old plates back. Once she pays the fine, they will then wait 30 days & send it to her. But the lady said "probably." When I asked her what that meant, she said they would just have to call when she pays. So I am a bit confused...

My question: Is there any possibility that she will not have to wait the 30 days or is that just set in stone. My neighbor insists that she knows she does not have to wait 30 days :?

She will be stuck at home alone with no transportation (except for me) & her health is poor.

2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I believe, and others may corroborate or correct, what she'll get is a 30-day tag (a cardboard license plate) that she can put on until they issue a new plate.

3. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I think only get 30 day tag from a dealer. I've bought a car from an individual and got a plate the same day.
    If everything is in order, taxes paid up , insurance current, and inspection complete, you should be able to get a new license plate. Not sure she'll get the old plate back.
    She'll still have to go court on charges from before.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

This just happened to the wife of someone I work with. She was pulled over on a random plate check and her plates taken. Her issue was a miscommunication between an insurance company they had cancelled with last yr, the dmv, and the new insurance company. They took her plates because they said her insurance lapsed last June, and it never lapsed, they changed companies. She showed current policy, registration, etc. He still took her plates, and told her he'd let her make the adult decision as to how to get the car home, he was going the opposite way. She had a child with her, so she drove the 3 miles to their house. As soon as she got home, she took a cab to the dmv with her paperwork and they handed her new plates. The DMV workers only comment was that "this happens more often than you'd think". :?

5. oneshortds

oneshortds Member

She will probably have to give up her plates for 30 days. Then after the 30 days, she will have to go to the plate place and get new plates with proof of insurance and inspection. I have had this happen to me before. No driving for 30 days.

6. WhatNow

Well when I told the DMV lady they took her plates, she said "Oh, there must have been no insurance.

I hope she will get a 30 day tag. It was clear that the old tag is a goner. But the lady did not say anything about a temporary plate... I worried that she might have to wait.

Sadly, this has happened to her before & to her husband :?

7. WhatNow

Thanks for the info!

Great - :x

8. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

It baffles in todays' electronic world that an insurance co. can notify the state when your insurance policy ends but not when a policy begins.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Call me cynical, but it's making them money.

10. 27577

27577 Guest

this. if all monies are current on said car, go to dmv, get new plate ( metal, regular plate ) then go to court to settle tickets.

11. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

If that insurance lapses, it is an automatic park the car for 30 days. I had that happen a couple years ago. I could drive but not that car. I borrowed my ex's old truck and drove that to work. It worked for me. I was up on S. Saunders St and it was dark. He made it pretty plain it would be to my best interest not to drive it. I called a neighbor to come get me and a tow truck to get my car the next day. I could pull the car off the street and into a parking lot. I hate that for your friend. Maybe she has a friend or relative who will let her use a vehicle.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Oh, I don't think the insurance company is making money off it, the cynical me thinks the DMV is. We've been on the bad side of their incompetance before, so my expectations are pretty low. Could be wrong...........have been before. :jester:

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

PRM.....with my mother having just retired from the DMV and working in the call center for many years I can tell you that often times when plates are pulled for insurance purposes it has to do with person A walking into insurance company A in the morning and starting a new policy and then person A contacting company B and canceling their policy with them in the same day with no grace period what so ever.

Or they cancel with company B and then sign up for new insurance with company A on the same day thus creating a lapse of insurance, even if only for an hour or so.

The smart thing to do is have a grace period of double coverage for a week.

14. WhatNow

Park the car for 30 days seems to be what will happen. Going to DMV shortly. She has NO other means of transportation except for me. I don't mind helping but gas is so high & my time is limited. I homeschool our 4 kids. Sadly, when a Mom homeschools, some people tend to think she is just at home twiddling her thumbs & they say "Oh, she's not doing anything, she's available." My neighbor tends to think that way.

Her husband brings in more than twice our income. I am thinking he needs to just rent her a car for the month.

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree: :iagree:

Go ahead and put it in her ear today that you have ALOT going on the rest of the month and *might* not be available for her when she needs you and it might be a good idea to get a rental car.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

If you do, make sure your insurance will still be good wiht the rental (most are, but she may have extenuating circumstances), or purchase the rental car companies expensive insurance.

17. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

If money is not the problem, then it is just plain being sorry. In that case, let her sit. That sounds cold, but if you want to drive, then follow the rules. I would love to save the money I pay for insurance, but I need to drive to take care of my family, so tough nuts. Ticks me off that there are people on the road making my insurance higher by not being insured. People like that cost all of us. Let her sit. Or charge her to haul her around. Sounds like you have enough to look after without mooching neighbors.

18. WhatNow

Well, we got to the DMV in Smithfield & the inspection had not been done as expected. Did not have the right number to the lot so had to drive back to it (15 miles) only to find they did not do the insp. yesterday as promised. Got it inspected but no time to get her back to DMV due to other needs for my car. She got another ride & hoping she has it taken care of.

Interesting thing is, she CAN get her plate back. She gets a 10 day plate & they mail her a plate. The reason, she has been expired for about 75 days. After they suspend the plate, the car has to be parked for 30 days. However, because she already had about 75 days during which the DMV considered it parked because they never caught her driving it, her "30 days parked" has already been done.

Funny thing is that this morning, she got a letter from the DMV that her husband's tag on his car is expired & he has to come pay a fine to keep his plates. :lol:

I laugh, but I still find it just amazing that two adults can allow both vehicles to let this happen, especially when the $ is there.