"Pay first" at the pump?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

OK, in the great scheme of things, this is an extremely minor irritation, but where is the logic in the business plan that insists that I must "pay first" when I go to a certain local gas station?

My vehicle is in plain view, tag recorded on camera etc. and I'm a regular (twice a week) customer, but every time they change staff I go through this ritual and I take my business up the street for a while.

I understand that drive-offs are a big problem at gas stations, but I also understand that the profit margins on fuel sales are microscopic and that the traffic through the store -beer an' smokes, mostly- is the only thing that makes it work.

So why, oh why, do you (wise proprietor) presume that I intend to rip you off and want me to pay at the pump and pay again in the store?

Why shouldn't I just take all my business up the street to the place that encourages me to 'bundle' my fuel and provisions? I do, but I'd rather shop at a conveniently located, locally owned business than a chain...aargh!

2. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

I was a convenience store clerk for 15 years and what I can tell you is a lot of that has to do with protecting the employees. It is very stressful watching all the pumps for drive-offs, watching the store for shoplifters, taking care of rush hour crowds, keeping the place clean, shelves stocked, brewing fresh coffee, being helpful to each and every customer, dealing with the money changing hands. I no longer work in a gas station; I guess the main reasons being that I was tired of being the "messenger" that everyone blamed, for the rising cost of fuel. No, we did not get raises (barely made minimum wage), and I was getting too old to chase drive offs. Not to mention having a friend of mine killed during a station robbery by a coked out drug addict who did not understand that our safe had a timer on it, and we could not access it until would open. Is it that difficult to pay first? Yes, it is inconvenient, but helps the employees immeasurably. They are trying to do a lot of things at once while working, and it helps things run a little more smoothly. Stop and think about what that gas station clerk deals with all day, yet manages to greet you with a smile, helps you get what you need, and wishes you a nice day. Walk a mile in their shoes. I know..I have been there. :)

3. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Sorry I call BS on this^ part. The only place that happens anymore is Chic-fil-A.

4. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I hate the $50 cut off at some. With prices like they are thats just 2/3 of a tank. I have to start over to fill it up. I using a credit card, why does it stop at $50?

5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

maybe its you and your demeanor

6. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I don't mind paying at the pump. What I do mind is paying at the pump and then getting a message that says "Clerk has receipt". No...you made me pay out here, I didn't want to come in anyway, the least that you can do is make sure at the beginning of each shift that all of the printers are full of paper and functional.

7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I remember back in 2006 the wilco up on 70 near the Taco Bell/KFC had a 50.00 cut off also. Gas was up over 4.00 a gallon then as well

8. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Living in Florida all the gas station (at least in South Florida) are pay first. It was because of too many drive offs.

9. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I think it's a ploy to get us in the store. They always depend on impulse buying. What burns me is when I do have to come in for it they try to swindle extra items to you. God our country and the greed is just...well I will think of the right word that does not involve profanity or an oraface..

10. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Maybe it's their way of getting you in the store where you might buy something. I leave without a receipt.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Some of us have to have receipts for reimbursements and for taxes. It just adds to the aggravation.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually I get that every time I walk into Sandhu's.

13. 27577

27577 Guest

this

14. Sdaanimal

I agree 100%! One of the c-stores I worked at had chronic issues with the stupid receipt thingies at the pump. We always made sure there was paper, but they kept malfunctioning, and we had to call constantly for repair. When they WERE allegedly fixed, they just stopped working again. It got to the point where I would see someone using the credit card outside payment option, would print out a receipt, and take it out to the customer because I knew it wouldn't work. As a customer, I HATE that, too! I also hate when a gas station feels the need to "put a hold" on my bank account, for me to use my card out at the pump. It has happened to us at Sandhu's, and at the Shell station near the Food Lion. My checking account was overdrawn because Sandhu's tried to "hold" $100, and I only had $96 in there. I was using my DEBIT card, too, and only got $15 worth of gas. When I checked my account online, there was money transferred from my savings to cover the $4 "shortage", plus a fee for the transfer. After I was quite loud when I called the credit union to complain, it was explained to me what happened, and they reversed the fee. If I knew this gas station did this, I certainly would not have paid outside at the pump. No posting explaining this practice. The same thing happened at the Shell, no warning there either. Not everyone keeps $100 minimum in a checking account, just to pump a few dollars with a debit card. So we usually go to Wilco Hess or Murphy express because they just put $1 hold until the transaction clears. Am I the only one this happens to?

15. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I try to ALWAYS buy my gas at the (new) Marathon station at 4042. These are LOCAL folks that own the store, and every time I drive up, I look in the window, wave at them, push the "pay inside" button and they will cut the pump on. This way I pump what I want, be it $5.00 or $100.00, then go inside and swipe my card. Only what I have purchased is put on my card.
    These people are very friendly, strive to be helpful and OH, did I mention, They are LOCAL, not part of a big chain.
    Do yourself and the LOCAL ECONOMY a favor.... go by, introduce yourself and let them know you plan to be a regular customer. They will appreciate your business, and they will show it.

16. Sdaanimal

Is this gas station the one at Burger King (or thereabouts), across from that Shell station? It sounds like it would be worth checking out; thanks for the tip!

17. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

That's the way it is (some times!) at the station I wrote the original post about and that was more about the nice folks that staff the place rather than the management.

I make a point of frequenting the same businesses regularly- they get to know me and I get to know them, we treat each other with respect and we can build a healthy business relationship.

From a business point of view, gas stations make only a penny or two profit on each gallon sold but if they can get you in the store for milk, bread, beer and smokes the situation improves dramatically. I have talked to some folks that will even sell gas at a loss just to get you in the store.

Anyway, the bottom line for me is respect. Don't treat me like a criminal and I'll spend my money at your business.

Peace!

18. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

That's the one. Sometimes the owner is there, other times employees, but they are ALL nice folks.

We all ought to support LOCAL business. Keep your money AT HOME!!!

19. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

Ok maybe I'm just crazy but sometimes at a gas station it seems like the numbers $ start moving before I hear the gas coming out of the nozzle. It is possible I'm just crazy but it has happened more than a few times.

20. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Gas is so expensive you have to pay for the fumes too.
    Push the button and say "Hey ...this pump says you got my receipt. I didn't say you could have it, so I need you to bring it out to me." Take it from me, they don't like that.

Who goes into convenience stores anyway? The only people who would pay those prices must be the most insanely impulsive people among us.