In case you hadn't heard

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bissielizzie, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

We just received an email from the planning department that owners/developers of the 300+ track of land on 42 want to change the special use zoning from retail/office/hospitality to now include residential (more apartments)(as if that stretch of 42 & 40 can handle anymore residential traffic) the applicant is Ashton Way Apartments LLC. The case is 09-12 and will be heard on Tuesday, March 20th at 6pm.

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Is that the property across from wal mart and behind where cook out is?

3. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Man, I'm glad NCDOT did the 70 bypass- I hate going through 40/42 especially going west. I don't recall how wide 42 was when I moved to JoCo in '94 but 4 1/2 lanes isn't enough anymore.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

just what we don't need.

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

What ever happened with that big shopping center (similar to North Hills) that was going to be built there? Was that cancelled or put on hold or still on track?

6. jkryansoc

jkryansoc Guest

The planning board snuck through the same

Deal in the Adams Point Subdivision. We went and attended the Joco Planning Board meeting and they basically said tough sh&@ and "you people in Cleveland need to quit complaining and go incorporate". Trust me. It us a moot point attending the meeting as they could care less.

7. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Perhaps the people in Cleveland need to send this board a loud message on the next election day and vote for some new board members.

8. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I was wondering about the same thing,wasn't it supposed to extend all the way down to the bridge on 42?
    Got this from a thread on city-data:
    "So not sure who else read it, but those turn lanes are for a future shopping center. 650,000 square feet of retail, 450,000 square feet of office, a hotel, condos and apartments. Might not break ground though for a year or so. But they did get approval and have done a lot of survey work."

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...ew-walmart-shopping-center.html#ixzz1pBWtVIwk

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  9. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Other than the fact the planning board members aren't elected......

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

More than a few of us believe that this would be a positive step. We either get to the place where they have to recognize us and deal with us, or else they continue to treat our area as the goose that lays the golden eggs.

11. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Our understanding is that the 300+ acres are zoned for retail/ office/hospitality but not for residential, which is what they want to now add. One hopes that the planning board will have the courage to say no to anymore high residential living until the interchange at 40/42 has been reworked as proposed almost 3 years ago and 42 is widened from 70 to 55. This plan was to alleviate the current gridlock and allow for growth along 42. The building along 42 is approved and in the works along Johnston Memorial. That plan calls for retail/office/hospitality/residential. Maybe the roads need to be in place before we add more residences?

12. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

*sigh* You can cram only so much **** into one area. So many people that live in that area are wanting a more rural life. And there ya go turning it into another little city. Home Sweet Home.