Shooting ranges

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grammie, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Grammie

Grammie Well-Known Member

Any one know of any shooting ranges besides the one at Tryon road? They won't let you in unless you have experience or bring some one with you who has experience.

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I would think that is a GOOD thing.... :?

3. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Any place you go will require you to pass a safety course to satisfy common sense and their insurance underwriter. Is this the 'experience' they're looking for? I don't know how else you could do it.

Along the same lines, you could take a CCW class there and I'm sure that would satisfy any experience requirements they have.

Wake County runs a nice public facility (so I'm told) and they have a similar safety requirement to get a range card.

4. Grammie

I am going to take a safety course first. So then that would be considered experience?

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Experience means you've done it before.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I got my conceal carry @ A Personal Defense Center on Tryon Rd, the people there were GREAT!!!

As far as shooting, you basically have to know someone who will let you shoot on their land, or shoot on your own land (if you have enough acerage).

I LOVE SHOOTING!!!!!!

7. Grammie

I will have to talk to you when you come in. You will have to come over and check my property out, I am less than 5 minutes from you.

8. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

If Davi's is still open...it's a good place.

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

DH almost got kicked out of Davi's a LONG time ago, he brought in his .454 Casull to shoot and I SWEAR everyone around us just about jumped out of their skin. :lol::lol: That damn thing is LOUD!!!!

OK Grammie, I'll see you soon.

10. Gomer Pyle

That would be a question for the folks at the range. If you have no prior experience maybe their 'suggestion' of a coaching session isn't a bad idea, or maybe it's just a way to pump a c-note out of you.

http://www.pdhsc.com/membership.htm

I can see their point though: shooting for the first time out in the back 40 is a lot less risky for everyone else than doing it on a crowded public range.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

Davi's was shut down by OSHA. It seems they frown on rounds penetrating the range

12. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

13. Gomer Pyle

Interesting...thanks for posting that!
    http://eagle1supply.com/

I'm guessing these guys took over the former Davi's location just outside the beltline N. of Raleigh- it's too close to be a coincidence.

14. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Davi's was off Green Rd. this is a totally separate place. Never been, but heard of it for a while. Someone needs to open a range in the 40/42 or 40/210 area, or even somewhere off 70 in Clayton.

15. Gomer Pyle

This place is off Craftsman Drive behind the New Hope Church Rd WalMart where Davi's original location was- can't say for sure that it's the same building though.

It sure seems like there's enough demand to support a range down our way. I wonder if it's the insurance or zoning that's the problem, or if the business model just won't pay off.

16. Melon

Melon Well-Known Member

I shoot at Personal Defense and used the dealsaver coupon to check out Eagle 1. I'll get several more before it expires. It's worth it if you shoot regularly.

Personnel at both places were friendly, knowledgeable about the firearms in their displays, and didn't push me to buy stuff. I heard an Eagle 1 guy patiently explain guns to a new male shooter. I've been to PD with women who were treated well. That's not always the case. Some guys are bullies. I read that in Davi's reviews, and a Lawman's guy was rude to me for no reason.

I filled out the safety test, which can be found on PD's and Eagle 1's sites. I assume they assess my readiness to shoot by what I say, too, since neither of us wants me hurt. They gave me a range card, asked if I needed eye & ear protection and ammo. I bring my own. I picked a target and was good to go.

Both places have intro classes, which benefits both parties.

Good point about the business model. Seems you'd need a lot to make it work.

17. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

I love target shooting, too.

I live near Clayton and love to target shoot if i can find a place. I have a small, quiet target rifle, 66 years old and a former sniper. I am retired with not much to do.

18. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Dern...I left my 50 at home....

19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

20. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member