Another West Johnston Teen Arrested for Speeing

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rwilkerson, Mar 24, 2012.

1. rwilkerson

rwilkerson Active Member

Just beware guys... My kid came home yesterday from school saying another kid from West got arrested for speeding on North Pleasant Coates Rd. She was doing 64 in a 45. The Highway Patrol is working all of the schools with diligence and if teens under 18 get caught misdemeanor speeding, it's now a mandatory arrest by law but also a 30 day license revocation for the child. They will have to bond out and sometimes their bond is over $1000.00 cash only.

HP is also making copies of every ticket and giving them to the school principals, and then the schools are in turn revoking parking passes. Pass on to your child that if they get caught misdemeanor speeding, they WILL be arrested and if they get a ticket at ALL, their parking pass will be gone for 30 days or more.

There have been reports of multiple cellphone usage tickets given for kids under age who aren't allowed to use them, and also multiple tickets given out for texting while driving near the schools, along with seat belts.

Sounds like HP is tired of doing death notifications to the parents. Keep it up guys!

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Agreed. Something has to be done. Good idea to start kids with better driving habits right from the start. Shame that it has to resort to threats, but hopefully it will save lives!

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I commend SHP. They need to come over 42E as high school students get off US 70 and head west on 42E. It resembles a drag stip immediately after high school dismisses.

4. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Thank you to our law enforcement offers who care about our kids! I don't EVER want to comfort another room full of kids while crying myself because one of their own lost his/her life while in a vehicle. Heartbreaking. Again, thank you so much. :grouphug:

5. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Hey maybe they can write tickets to all you grandmas that drive below the limit...

6. 27577

27577 Guest

/thread

7. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Let's see ...get arrested ...$1,000 to get out ...have your license revoked for 30 days ...no parking at school for 30 days or more ...speeding fine, court costs, maybe an attorney fee, new unaffordable insurance rate. I'm not sure the goal is deterrence from speeding, because for anyone middle class or lower this would become deterrence from driving period.

Let's hope you didn't get a bad report card and your girlfriend didn't break up with you too ...because the risk of suicide might be greater than the risk from speeding.

Geez.

8. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Give me a break! The only thing on the list of costs that you wouldn't normally incur is the bail from jail. Are you suggesting they don't get ticketed at all, because a normal speeding ticket would be pretty expensive after the ticket, court costs, and insurance hikes. And I'm sorry, but if not being able to drive is a reason for suicide, something else is terribly wrong. Nothing else law enforcement has done thus far has thwarted speeding teens. I commend them for caring more about our teens' lives than some of the teens' parents do. Even after being caught speeding well over the speed limit some parents continue to care more about their child's ability to chauffeur themselves around and their happiness than they do about their safety. I just don't get it!

9. ServerSnapper

is speeing speed peeing?

10. Pinky

Pinky Well-Known Member

I'm all for it as well.

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

This morning, on WRAL News, there was a Mother who was complaining that her sweet little girl was arrested for going 15 mph over the posted speed limit. Mom proceded to complain that her poor little girl was applying to college next year and (gasp!) she now has to put on her application that she has been arrested.

My thought while watching this...

Which would this Mother prefer, a call from the Magistrate's office telling her that her daughter was arrested, or a knock on the door by a cop telling her that her daughter is dead?

Most annoying, but very telling for today's parents...

According to her Mother, (paraphrased) it's not the daughter's fault she was speeding, it's the cops fault for upholding the law.

12. Pinky

Pinky Well-Known Member

agree Clif, I saw the same thing and couldn't believe the mother was on tv whining about it, she should be kicking her precious daughter's butt for driving like a fool and we wonder why Johnston Co loses so many kids these days. :banghead:

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

It's because precious little Johnny and little Susie can do no wrong.

14. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea what the SHP is doing...... BUT sorry to say I do not think it will slow teens down. You give them keys & freedom they are going to press their luck! Just like everyone else they think " It won't happen to me." I saw a sign some where you can put a sticker on your teens car that has a number... " How's my teen driving" I do not think that would work well either. The teen can take the sticker off for 1 or someone can call just to say they were acting up but WHO really knows the truth?? I just saying.

15. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

So what are you saying? That parents should not try because the teens are going to do it anyway?

That's a bit defeatist, don't you think?

16. ServerSnapper

OK. It starts when they are small children. Stop being their best friend and learn that discipline is not a bad thing!!! It's not abuse. Make your kids listen and this issue will not be an issue moving forward.

17. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yes, teens are going to do it anyway ... they'll test their limits, that's what teenagers do in order to become adults. But they'll also learn there are consequences to going over their limit. Does it have to be so harsh? Yes. Driving safely is a MUST-learn lesson, not optional. Parents don't have enough control of their teenage drivers, it's now in the hands of a higher authority to enforce restrictions.

18. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

:iagree:

19. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Part of the problem with this is that the parents don't see anything wrong with what their teens are doing as they most likely drive the same way.

Coming down 42 towards Clayton about 9:30pm the other night from the 4042 area. I running 60-65 and there is a person riding my *** so hard that I can't even see their hedlights in the rearview.

When they finally passed me it was a middle aged woman on her phone jabbering away.

Now how can you expect a parent like that to teach their kids how to drive safely?

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: :banghead: most of today's younger generation are not being taught by very good examples, with driving and life in general. :cry: