Another West Johnston Teen Arrested for Speeing

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rwilkerson, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

When this happens, I flash my brake lights (right foot still on the accelerator, just enough brake pressure with the left foot to flash the lights). It's funny how many actually slam on their brakes. :)

What's even worse is suggestiong the possibility that they (both parents and their kids) are driving dangerously. Even here on 4042, if you want to start a flame war, try suggesting that people driving faster than the posted speed limit are breaking the law. :twisted:

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

You're right, the parents aren't teaching it ... and the schools aren't teaching it in Driver's Ed ... but the parents had better START, they're the ones who are going to be paying the fines, shelling out money to get their speed-demons out of jail ... can only hope it's enough of a smack upside the head to the parents to live as authority figures and lead by example (will it work? I'm doubtful!).

I TOTALLY agree with 'mafia ... some people just shouldn't breed. If you're not prepared to BE A PARENT to your child, don't have kids.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Nope. Both my sons had the same rules. They speed (or break any other law), they pay the fine.

Paying your kids' fines is just another form of enabling them.

4. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

:iagree: Hence why mine doesn't have a license, he doesn't have a job! He gets a job, he can get a license :)

5. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Maybe when the posted speed limits are really about safety instead of a way of getting around the 4th Amendment people will take them more seriously. We could start by focusing on crashing instead of speeding. Cause a non-fatal accident, lose your license for a year ...cause a fatal accident, lose them forever. Makes more sense if it really is about safety. And maybe if law enforcement officers started following the posted limits, everyone else would too.

6. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I am not intentionally trying to disagree with everything you say; we are just obviously at odds on this topic. The statement above is the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this thread on many levels. A person who wrecks going 80 miles an hour on a 55 mph road may be lucky enough to survive and not kill anyone else.....that time. You can't ticket people based on their luck. That's why statistics are used to determine what is safe and what isn't. Statistically a crash at that speed will be fatal. You are suggesting that if it's not fatal, the person should be let off easier to potentially do it again when the statistics may not fall in their favor. Like I said, RIDICULOUS!

And I agree with everyone else who says parents aren't holding their kids accountable. The ones that don't hold them accountable for driving are often not holding them accountable for much of anything. Which is why there is so little action on the younger generation's part to take any kind of proactive steps in their lives, society, etc. There is always an out for these kids. Their parents are trying to find ways to "get them out of it," whatever "it" is. It is a detriment to their kids' futures.

7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I can't say that as a teen I never went over the speed limit (9 or less over) but I can say I never drove crazy. My daddy had put the fear of God..er..um...Dad in me! I had a HEALTHY fear of my parents. They were awesome! Every time I thought of doing something stupid I saw my daddy's face in my head! In other words, I knew there would be consequences to my actions and daddy would buy my way out of it. He also told me that if I got a ticket, the car was for sale the next day...I believed him!

8. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Well that's the way it works now, so I don't need to suggest that. Are you suggesting we charge speeders with manslaughter even if they don't kill anyone? I'm just saying that *IF* safety was really the true objective, the penalties for wrecking would be harsher and the penalties for speeding would be lighter. Now if you want to talk ridiculous, your statistical focus on speed alone lumps grandma and Dale Earnhardt, Jr. in the same group with no regard for the statistics of who is more likely to crash in the first place. It doesn't get much more ridiculous than that.

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

actually did that and it didn't deter this person one bit from trying to mate her mid-size import with my compact convertable.

10. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I said many, not all. :) Some people can only take a hint with the help of a two by four.

11. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I resent that statement on the grounds it is true!