Vietnam Vets Reunion

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by countrydan, Apr 2, 2012.

1. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

I went to the Vets reunion Saturday in Charlotte. My observation is that we ought to throw rotten eggs at the vendors who preyed on all of us. Cokes were 4 dollars each. Hot dogs 6 dollars, everything else, 6 dollars. Thanks for helping us Vets . Greed is everywhere.

2. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Sad.....to demean and profane the intent of the Welcome Home ceremony is despicable, indeed.

3. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Glad my dad did not go. That is shameful.

4. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

The hot dogs and drinks should have been furnished for them. I assume all the attendees paid for their own transportation.

5. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

Vets taken for suckers

65,000 men and women paid for tickets to the event to view some jeeps and see Charlie Daniels. Everything was vendors with overpriced merchandise. The traveling wall was there, but those soldiers already paid their dues.

6. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Already paid their dues....but they hadn't paid for hot dogs yet. Capitalism works that way you know.....some pay, some make a profit.

7. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

My husband is a Vietnam Vet. We were going to go but he thought that all the walking would be too much. I did't expect stuff to be free but those prices are ridiculous.
    The tickets were free for the asking...they were given out to any vet, not just those from Vietnam. It was a nice thing, but I think my husband felt as if it was a little too late.
    Those sign you hear about, "Sailors and Dogs, keep off the grass," were real. At the time, he was a kid, who enlisted to do the right thing...but could never wear his uniform while traveling for fear of being spit on and called names....even though he had nothing to do with any of that. Somethings just stick with you.

8. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

PC,
    Sadly, we forget our heroes as soon as we can. Please tell him we send our heartfelt, "Welcome home, brother!" to him and thank him for his service.

It was written by someone much smarter than me.

"God and the Soldier, we adore,
    In time of danger, not before.
    The danger passed and all things righted,
    God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted." Rudyard Kipling

H6/C6

9. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

thank you.