horse riding?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Anyone know what can be done about people horse riding in subdivision? We are outside of city limits of Clayton, but address is still Clayton. I talked with HOA, and they won't do anything. I really could care less about people riding horse's. The problem I have is they crap all the subdivision, as you can imagine it smells, plus I don't like having to dodge piles of crap when driving home. Then people run over it, and then we have piles of flat crap on the road, that takes forever to go away. I was going to stop them and have a chat about it the other day, but to be honest, I was scared. No offense to anyone that redneck, but they seem very much like rednecks and they were packing heat, so I really did not feel like getting involved with that.

Any ideas what I can do? Was going to call johnston county sheriff, but not really sure what they would do. The times these peope ride in are subdivision are very random. From what I can tell, they use are subdivision to get down to the neuse river, and they ride along the river, then come back that way as well.

Also never realized horse could crap so much. The first time I saw it, I thought maybe an elephant just went down the street.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Move to the city.

You move to the country and then complain about country life? :banghead:

3. Buc

Buc Well-Known Member

Totally agree!!!

4. 26.2

26.2 Well-Known Member

Move to the city.

You move to the country and then complain about country life?

YEP!

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Move to Cary and live in plastic bubble. Unless they are in your yard, it's not something to complain about. Manure is biodegradable last I checked. It won't hurt you unless you handle it and fail to wash your hands. Good grief. I seriously do not understand folks sometimes. :?

6. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

Horse manure is great in the garden... Get a shovel and take advantage of free fertilizer!

7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

:iagree:

My next door neighbor in my subdivision has 4 horses in their backyard. If I didn't like things like that, I would live in a place like Cary.

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I can see your point, but I don't know what you can do about it. In my subdivision, we pick up after our animals when we walk them on the street (as a COURTESY to each other), so I wouldn't really be too happy about having horse poop all along our little street either. If they don't live in the subdivision, I don't really know what recourse you would have since your HOA can't help. If it is a public street, I would think it was open to them. Personally, I think it is pretty crappy of them not to pick up after their horses in a neighborhood. I grew up in JoCo and I don't think you should have to move to Cary to have common courtesy exhibited in your neighborhood. My backyard neighbor has horses, in his yard, not mine. That is not the same as having a pile at my mailbox or driveway. JMHO. Good luck to you.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Horse manure doesn't take that long to dry up and scatter. Soon it will be hot and the stinky stuff will be gone in a day or two.

Lots of people in cities dream about sitting on the porch listening to the clip clop of horses hooves. It could be worse, they might decide to take up dirt bikes
    If you don't want to talk to them and it if the manure really bugs you, go shovel it away. Maybe they will notice you doing it and take a hint.

10. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I do try to clean up after my horse, but at least horse crap doesn't stink too much. It's damn slippery when you hit it on your motorcycle though!

Next time they go by maybe it would help to go out and talk to them about your concerns in a friendly way. Most horse folks are decent enough- maybe they just don't realize that they are a problem?

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I can see getting bent if it was all the time, but just on occasion? Meh

12. Steeler_Fan

The people that own the horses don't live in our subdivision. They go in our subdivision about 3 times a week. I moved out of the city to get away from the barking dogs, sirens so on. Since the areas they are using to go down to the neuse river or come up from the neuse river are private home owners property, would this not be considered Trespassing? Several of us plan to approach them this weekend, as they are always around on Saturday mornings. I did not spend the amount of money on my house nor did my Neighbors, to have horse crap all over the road. Like I said no problem with people riding the horses, but not to pickup after them is just rude.

13. Steeler_Fan

To each his own, but I did not buy 450k home to have horse crap all over the road in front of my house.

I really did not ask to be critized on these boards, just asking questions about how to deal with it. I think it time to move on.

14. Steeler_Fan

So I just talked to someone at the DOT for Johnston County, the subdivision roads are private and not maintained by the state or county. So does that change things? I assume I would have to get the HOA to post sign to state that?

15. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

So, you have a choice. Sirens and barking dogs, or horse poop.

Sounds like, if you get them to stop pooping, you'll just find something else to complain about.

16. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Our neighbors at the end of our culdesac have a stream running behind their house. They have a sign posted that says "private way" because they were getting random people crossing their property to get to the stream, so yes, I would think it is trespassing since they own that property. It would be up to them to take action. Maybe they should be the ones you speak to first. Also, you can post a neighborhood sign about the road being private, but I doubt it will help. We have a no soliciting sign in our neighborhood, but it doesn't stop them. My dog does though.:twisted: Good luck!

17. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

And don't forget the horse you rode in on! :lol:

I would think that most neighborhoods with $450K houses have strong enough HOA's to deal with this type of crap. Sounds like they may not consider a few road apples as a huge issue. Maybe you should just pony up some cash and hire a lawyer. You have three choices - Live with it, fight it, or hoof your way out of there!

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Anyone else get the feeling it's not about the manure? But about folks daring to pass through the subdivision full of $450,000 houses? Just me? Cause I can't figure out what the price point had to do with it. 8)

19. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

All depends on if they are riding or using Open Space and then it also depends on what or how that Open Space is designated in the covenants and or plat.

20. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Many subdivision roads are indeed turned over to NCDOT for maintenance and upkeep. A good way to tell is if their are school buses that pick up kids along the roads in your subdivisions. Buses normally do not go into subdivisions where the roads are not taken over by DOT. If your roads have not been taken over, then you need to petition your HOA to petition the developer and have them taken over.

DOT will only take over the roads once 80% of all available lots in the subdivision have houses built and sold on those lots.