horse riding?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

The price point is that my wife and I have worked very hard to get to a point in our lives where we could buy a nice home, 15 years of savings to have the deposit, this is the last thing we thought we would have to deal with. Life to short to debate this anymore on message board.

We really like the subdivision and all the people that live around us. Don't know why you people have to attack me. Just asking for advise, I guess this was the wrong place to do it.

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

thats her MO

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

People are giving you advise, you just feel it's an attack since it's not what you want to hear.

Unless the horses are pooping on your driveway, and as long as they are pooping on a public street, there's nothing you can do. Your choices are as follows:

1. Live with it.
    2. Move back to the city and deal with sirens and barking dogs.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

isn't it common courtesy that if you walk your dog and it ****s you clean it up?? why should horses be different.

5. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

So you are telling me that if I owned a dog, and let it crap in front of your house on the public street, you would be OK with that?

Take it one more step, how about if I took a crap in front of your house on public street and just left it, you would be OK with that as well?

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well goody for you! I own my house too, that doesn't give me dibs on the road in front of it. If so, I'd throw some spike strips down to slow the soccer moms coming from RW trying to mow me over when I go to get my mail. :lol: It's part of living "gasp" in the real world. I'd take your horse manure over soccer mommy on her cell phone ANY day.

Good luck finding the perfect S/D. It ain't out there.

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Be ok with it? No, probably not. However not being ok with it is different than doing something about it. If a dog poops in the street, there's nothing I can do about it.

If you did, you'd probably be the next big meme on YouTube.

The facts are:

1. The horse(s) are pooping on a public street.
    2. There are no horse curbing laws.
    3. There's nothing you can do about it aside from moving back to the city. This, of course, won't stop the horses from pooping, but it will silence the noise pollution of you complaining about it.

8. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I would approach them and greet them in a friendly way and ask them if they would please use the shovel I will leave out near the road in a discreet location to please pick up after the horses as they pass through the neighborhood. You could just say that the horse poop is attracting flies and is unattractive to leave in the middle of the road, but you thought that might be a way that they could continue to ride through the subdivision without bothering anyone, that then the joggers and kids biking and dog walkers won't have to watch out for the piles. You could just be friendly about it, even make some small conversation with them and tell them their horses are beautiful, ask if there are trails they head to as they come through the subdivision, etc. They probably have not given the issue any thought, not out of rudeness, but just because it honestly is not that big of a deal out in the country usually. Most horse people are pretty easy going and friendly though, and they may make a better effort to pick up after themselves, at least scrape it off the road to the berm. No reason to start out the conversation thinking the worst of them though, and if they aren't really hurting anything I wouldn't go getting all territorial about property lines, etc. I have little boys that pass through our yard on the way to their friends house all the time that have never asked permission to do so, but I would never even think to be mean to them about it as they are just innocently passing through, never hurt anything or cause trouble. Aren't we all just borrowing the land for a while anyway? You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

9. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

Its called losing place's to ride.... I used to ride all down Matthews Rd at the dead end. I would go through the woods and come out on Indian Camp Rd.. BUT now... there are houses everywhere... Its not our fault there is no where "country" for us ride anymore... Just like your dogs need to be walked..... Horses need to get out too!! Just saying. Like everyone else has said... If you don't like the country life... Smells and all.... Then go back to the city. I was born and raised right here. I was here BEFORE 40 hwy, before all these houses have popped up everywhere, just when we had 2 stores around here... DR Wells, and The Old Drug Store. Not a stop light in sight on 42. SMH And you have the nerve to say something about horse crap...... Come on now. But do what you wish.. Maybe they will "TRY" to find another way to get where their going. Like someone else said... Real County folks are nice and we will work with you.

10. BuzzMyMonkey

hey by chance you don't live in the portofino subdivision do you??? If so your gripe could be a moot point.

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

What about starting a petition among your neighbors ... present it to the HOA? Maybe they'll take action if majority rules? (I dont know, dont have an HOA)

Personally, I'd take advantage of the free fertilizer ... but if you moved to a subdivision, it's not really 'countryside'. The horse owners should be more considerate to clean up after themselves, or find another path. There has to be a way to co-exist (in my dream world!).

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Just out of curiosity, how is the HOA going to do something if the horses (and their riders) remain on the public streets?

13. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

The OP did mention that he talked to someone at the DOT for Johnston County, the subdivision roads are private and not maintained by the state or county.

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Oops, missed that post.

15. Horses have more right away on the roads than cars...cars must yield to them as they do pedestrians. I would say move back to the damn city! All the neighborhoods around my farm love to see us ride and always enjoy stopping to pet the horses. We always get off though and kick the poop in the grass if they poop in the road. Most of the home owner's appreciate that!

:nopity:

16. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

:iagree:

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

LOL.....in a round about way I'd be more upset about you kicking it into my yard than leaving it on the side/edge of the road

18. Snuffyjo

Snuffyjo Well-Known Member

as a horse owner (not that ours are ever ridden on the roads anymore) it would be no problem to go back and pick up our deposits after the ride if we were asked to. But I do remember when I was younger and we trail rode we would have people fighting over our piles to put at the base of their flowers, rose bushes and tomato plants!