Jury Duty

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by firefly69, Apr 12, 2012.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

1. What's the best story you ever told to get out of being selected for Jury Duty, once you had reported for duty? (True or fictional)

2. Why do some folks get picked so much more often than others and some not summoned at all ever??

3. How do you find out what cases are being heard when (Smithfield)???? Just curious...

TIA and yes, I know there was a short thread on this some time ago. New questions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I've only received a jury duty notice once. Calling the day before, as instructed in the notice, I was told I would not be needed.

Personally, I would like to be on a jury, although I'm not sure how effective as a juror I'd be (those of you who know me can stop snickering now).

I do wonder why people feel a need to try and get out of jury duty. It is, as the name implies, your civic duty. It is an obligation, as a member in good standing of our wonderful society, that should be fulfilled eagerly.

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

just tell them you have stopped your habit of killing puppies and lighting fires....they will send you on home.

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Wow! It took a whole 9 minutes to get the civic duty speech out of the way! Ya'll are slippin'!! :jester:

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

See? Now that is what I was looking for! Just trying to have some fun with it! Though I am serious about #3...want to know what I might be walking in on while being all "civic duty" minded. :jester:

The last time I was called and interviewed (about 3 years ago), I was not selected because I had been in a similar situation years earlier as a plaintiff (personal injury case when I was 15). Their choice not to pick me...not me trying to get out of anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

So, you were trolling.:twisted:

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Personally I think that I fulfilled my civic duty to our "wonderful society" the day I voluntarily enlisted and served my country in the US Military.

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Nah, just figured it would pop up at some point...and I had JUST read that part of the letter in my hand. I'm just messin' with ya! I put a jester on that post!:jester:

9. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I was called once when I lived in New Hanover County but I was in the middle of moving and told them so, they didn't need me. :mrgreen:

10. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

The first time I was called up I was excited. Then I found out it was just a neck grabbing lawsuit. I told him that frivolous lawsuits like that one and lawyers like him who bring them to court are destroying the country. (This was before Obama was in the picture, he has since taken over that title).

Oddly enough, he didn't release me, but the defendants lawyer did. I never figure out why, but I was glad to get out of it.

The second time I got called I was chosen. It too was a lawsuit, but it had a little more bite to it. It was actually a very educational experience. I hope I get called again.

As for some getting called more than others, I've heard that it's pretty common for lots of teachers to get called during the summer.

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yep, because we have nothing else to do and no one else who needs us to provide care, transportation, etc.:? That is what crossed my mind too. Last time I was called, I was teaching summer school and had to cancel classes to go.

What about all the retired people? They tend to think they know what is best for everyone in the whole wide world anyway, or maybe it is just the ones I know!

12. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

If I told all the things I've heard and seen in the Courtroom, ya'll would think I was making it up.

If you watch COPS, you're watching the Walt Disney version of what really goes on in the real world.

The nastiness, the depravity, the meanness, the casual violence, and total lack of a scintilla of respect for another person is an everyday thing.

WHY?

Satan is in control of these peoples' lives!

You introduce Jesus Christ into a person's life and you will have a TOTALLY transformed (for the better) human being.

- - - - - -

Quick Jury story: Local thug getting tried for drug dealing on the corner.

Caught with the drugs IN his pocket and MUCHO cash.

This conviction would make him an Habitual Felon (because of previous convictions) which carries a stiffer sentence.

Hung jury: 11 - 1 for conviction.

The lone holdout, an elderly female, surmised, "How do we know that somebody didn't PUT those drugs in the Defendant's pocket without him knowing it?"

The Defendant was later retried and convicted.

13. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Another quick story:

I wear a small, gold cross above my name tag.

Whenever I have to go in the Wake Co Jail to serve somebody some paperwork, I always notice an interesting phenomenon - many of the inmates will focus like a laser beam on my cross.

The whole pod gets quiet, regardless.

A short whispering campaign goes on and then silence.

No eye contact with me, but their eyes NEVER leave that cross.

Wherever I move, their eyes follow that cross until I'm out of sight.

There's POWER in the Cross and demons know it.

- - - - - -

Not hijacking your thread firefly, just sharing a story.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

The Devil Made Me Do It!

BS for those who use the excuse or offer it!

I don't need the "Carrot" of paradise to do the right thing.

15. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

I told my bride that you would probably respond within 1 hr.

I was close.

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

It's time to turn....so you don't burn.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Hey, if that is what you need to get by, good for you.

18. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Jesus loves you, this I know.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I know, because your Bible told you so! :jester:

20. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

No hijacking here...I encounter what you were describing on a daily basis at my work and you are 100% correct.