what is the closest beach?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed2adopt2, Apr 19, 2012.

1. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

I'm taking my kiddos to the beach next weekend. I've only been to the beach once, as a passenger, so I really didn't pay much attention to the drive.

From 40/42, about how long does it take to get to a nice beach? What beach would you suggest? Hotel/motel (must have pool).

Thx.

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

time and mileage wise, you can be at the ocean in about 2 hrs +/- 15 mins depending on how you drive just by going east on 40. smaller homier beaches are more like 2.5 hrs. depends on what you're looking for...i recommend the atlantis lodge in atlantic beach/pine knoll shores myself. about 2.5 hours down hwy 70 east.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

good thing about pine knoll shores is the aquarium/walking trails as well.

4. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Topsail Beach would be your quickest to get to beach, followed closely by Wrightsville.

I think,

5. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I think Wrightsville Beach is the closest at 115 miles, 1 hour 52 minutes from 40/42:
    http://g.co/maps/8d6ad

Just a short drive more, Emerald Isle is very nice at 130 miles, 2 hours 17 minutes:
    http://g.co/maps/5yqac

Nags Head is about 213 miles, 3 hours 32 minutes:
    http://g.co/maps/ajvkg

Obviously these times are estimates and will vary based on traffic, how fast you drive, and where you start from exactly. Usually I make it from my house to Wrightsville Beach in about 1 hour 30 minutes or so with no traffic.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Personally i love Carolina Beach, we take our grandkids down several times a year & it is under 2 hour drive from 40/42

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Beaches are over rated and over run by old people now! I am in BLUE HAIR HELL!!!

8. JellyBean

JellyBean Well-Known Member

We love Topsail. It is not over developed at this point and only 1.5hr from McGees Xroads exit on I-40. Easy drive, great beaches....family oriented.

9. tryingtomakeadifference

tryingtomakeadifference Active Member

Yep, Topsail or Wrightsville are the closest/easiest. I like both for different reasons.

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I love Oak Island. It's about 2 hours 15 min. from 40/42. Quiet. Family friendly. Free parking at the beach at every street.

11. 1_more_PitBull

1_more_PitBull Well-Known Member

Carolina Beach has limited parking without paying... But it's the easiest to get too.. Keep 40hwy till you can't go anymore... But Wrightsvillie is a quite place to go.

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

being a native of NC I know it's going to be hard to believe but I have never been to Wrightsville beach. Growing up we used to camp a lot at carolina, fort fisher, and emerald isle. But that was way back in the day.....LOL

13. ServerSnapper

Well closest does not always mean quality...Just sayin. I was excited to be moving down here to Myrtle. But when I got here that totally changed. It is not like it use to be. Also...What is it about the old people coming to these beaches and not heading further south? Jeez. It ruins it for the younger crowd. Hell I was listening to my radio kinda loud oneday and this old lady in a mercedes was at the light just a bitchin about it. I told her to shut up and go get some ensure. Cracka!

14. ServerSnapper

I love Kure beach. I had special training at the base there for like 3 weeks. The public can rent those house on base for like 3 to 4 hundred a week. Which would be 7 days. Which is an awesome deal. The PX use to be open. Not sure if it is now though.

15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Sounds like you should have done your homework better before moving there. Quit complaining, it was your choice.

8)

16. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

LOL

17. ServerSnapper

Be consistent in your observations and I will do what the **** I want.