GCAA Challenge & Classic Soccer Tryouts 2012

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

Challenge & Classic Soccer Tryout Information:

**Tryouts are FREE if you register ONLINE at least 24 hours prior to tryout date, $5 fee for on-site / walk up registration**

ONLINE Registration link:
    http://www.sportssignup.com/GCAA-Sports-Online-Registration.start

All tryouts are held at West View Elementary Soccer Fields

Boys & Co-ed
    (If girls want to be considered for a co-ed team they need to attend these days as well)
    May 29 & May 30
    U09 - U12 from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm
    U13 and up from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm

Girls
    May 31 & June 1
    U09 - U12 from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm
    U13 and up from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm

**All players must to have cleats, shinguards, soccer ball and water. They are encouraged to attend both tryout dates**

Please arrive 30 minutes early to allow for check-in and to receive tryout number.
    All tryouts are held at West View Elementary Soccer Fields
    Email questions to: challenge@gcaasoccer.com or president@gcaasoccer.com

2. davynchristy

davynchristy Well-Known Member

3. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, went to the site but doesn't really give me any more info. Is there a way to find out more? Are the teams based on age or skill? Do they travel? I've heard there is a rec team and a travel team. How's that work? Sorry, new to this. We've down Upwards all these years but two of my boys are needing something much more competitive. They are both 11yo. How much is it? There was no mention of cost on the website from what I've seen. Just trying to gather info. Is this for the fall season? Any info would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

4. mnredsky

This will give you the "down low" on each level and cost (bottom of page)

http://www.gcaasports.com/page/show/340776-soccer

5. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Thanks! The other link was not to that one so this helps immensely. Some of these sound super intense. Which I know my kids are ready (2 of them) but I'm not sure I'm ready for it. LOL. Thanks for the link.

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but how are the parents in these organizations? I've been to some places where the parents were harder to deal w/ than the players. Just don't want to be surrounded by any unnecessary drama. Hoping that this is not like that but had to ask. Write me privately if you want. Thanks.

stephanie-- mom to 10

6. AWmom

AWmom Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

7. mnredsky

8. mnredsky

Every sports at every level has "those" parents that are hard to deal with or over zealous. The upper levels definitely have more passion due to the increased dedication it takes, but my own son has been playing challenge and/or classic for 5 years now and we have enjoyed it immensely. You just got to learn to tune "those" out. ;)

9. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

yep...keep yourself and your own family in perspective, and you'll be fine. any of "those" people will just minorly annoy you, but you'll have a good time overall.

10. davynchristy

davynchristy Well-Known Member

11. mnredsky

bumpity bump

12. mnredsky

NEXT WEEK!!!

13. wolfpack68

wolfpack68 Member

Without "those" parents there would be no kids to play! At the higher levels of play naturally the dedication is more abundant. As far as the over zealous parents, they are the ones coaching and running the rec side of the soccer program. SMH!

14. mnredsky

Anything else?

15. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the person you quoted IS 1/2 of the husband/wife team who ran the whole program in addition to coaching, and attending the hours and hours of practice and did mighty dang good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. wolfpack68

wolfpack68 Member

If that is who this person is, so be it. That would be all the more worse as a volunteer leader. Calling parents "those" parents that are hard to deal with and over zealous. That is really setting a great example for skeptical people who may be interested in signing up their child to participate in a GCAA affiliated sport. Wow! I would highly recommend that a person who wants volunteers support and contributions to continue with the overwhelming, but sincerely gracious comments, to continue making them. I sure the people who volunteer and contribute enjoy hearing those remarks.....

17. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Fine. You volunteer your time and effort then. Get on the Board. Coach. Get out there and make a difference and help make improvements where you see they need improving.

::::::crickets::::::

18. mnredsky

I don't sugar coat anything. Why not be forthcoming and truthful with the answer to the question they asked? I'm not going to pretend every single parent is on their best behavior because let's face it, EVERY sport has parents who are living through their children and sometimes forget the fact that it's YOUTH sports not the MLS, NFL, MLB, NBA etc.

S/N - The 2 individuals that ran the rec program for the last 4 years did an outstanding job. Add to it the negative people and complainers THEY SHOULD GET AN AWARD! FYI ... nope, it's not me. I'd love to meet you so we can review your complaints and see what improvements you would like to see and help out with. We could always use more help because the same 10-15 adults get burned out. PM me anytime to set up a time.

19. mnredsky

Oh an ....keep posting, it keeps the thread near the top. :mrgreen:

20. mudd77

mudd77 Active Member

Actually, “those parents” are on every level of every sport out there. Rec, challenge, classic, it doesn’t matter. Whether it is screaming at their kids or coaching from the sidelines, they can be found at every sporting event. It is up to the organizations to implement policies that reduce the number of “those parents”. I am happy to say that GCAA has done a great job of this by placing field marshals on the sidelines at their games. Bottom line, don’t let a few loud mouth parents prevent your child from participating in team sports.

Last edited: May 22, 2012