Weird or not?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mnredsky, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

OK, maybe I'm just being paranoid or overly suspicious but tell me if you think this is weird.

I live right smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood and a lot of the kids come over here to play, which is great! Mostly basketball, riding bikes or on the trampoline. I love it and my kids love it.

Well, yesterday I walked outside to check on everyone and to tell my oldest it was time to come in (there were about 13 kids playing BB). In the middle of the bunch of kids I see a grown woman, which mind you is the mother of one of the kids. Now, I wouldn't find this so weird if I had some type of neighborly relationship with her, but I've literally only spoke to her once. Nor would I find it weird if she was just coming over here to get her son. But, she had been out there playing BB with them for over 30 minutes I was told.

I don't think I could see myself walking over to someone's house that I really don't know to play BB with kids without at least introducing / announcing myself to the parents that live there.

OK,bash away... am I weird? LOLOL

2. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Not weird at all. I think the kids loved it. They show off to the older generation how good they are. And the older generation comliment them how talented they are. I have found myself doing that sometimes, thinking I was young again. If the kids had a problem with it, they would have all broken up and complained and went home.

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I agree that she should have atleast introduced herself, but I don't think it's all that weird. Maybe she was looking for a way to meet other adults and wasn't sure how to do that... other than playing a pick up game with the kids.

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I think it's weird!

What grown woman wants to play with kids? Don't she have people her own age to hang out with???

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Maybe she was over there telling her own kid to get out of that Weird Lady's yard and come home.

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Bo READ! She was playing BB WITH the kids for 30 mins or more.

WEIRD!!!!!

7. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

LOL. I don't have time to read these things! I just post based on what I think it's going to say! :lol:

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

When you came outside and saw her, what did you say? What did she say? Or did everyone just leave? How old are the kids? For the record, I think that is weird. Not sure what I would have said in your position. Maybe it is just a one-time thing. If not and she does it again, I would invite her inside when she gets there and see what her deal is. But, yes, it is definitely weird. Apparently, she doesn't think so.:?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I don't think it's weird at all. I have and would play with the kids and not feel obligated to knock on your door and introduce myself being one or some of the kids are mine. My kids ask me to play with them sometimes. And Truth be told I prefer the company of some kids to most adults I know. I am also pretty protective of my kids, I like to know who they are hanging out with.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

yes...weird

11. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Well now we know who was in your driveway. :lol:

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

Were they playing shirts and skins? That might get weird, but I don't see it as anything to get worked up about. She MIGHT have gone over there to check in on her kid, give him a message, tell him get out of the weird lady's yard, etc. Once there maybe one of the kids talked her in to joining in.

Weird, a little, but there might be an explanation. Weird or not she should have come to you first.

13. Cleopatra

Mnredsky jr.... Feed me the rock!!!!!

14. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Set a pick and box out.....let some of the other kids shoot. :lol:

15. Cleopatra

Lol, it really wouldn't occur to me to go introduce myself. Maybe I 'M weird. :)

16. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

17. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

What Cleo said:cheers:

18. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

If I didn't know the person I would think it a bit weird, but then again, I wouldn't be walking up to a group of kids my kid was playing BB with and joining in but that's just me :)

19. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

If my kid was playing, yes i would walk up and I know the friends would throw me the ball. That is called parent interaction, and i have raised two successful children into adults with college degrees. Parents do need to interact some. The kids love it and talk about it for years to come, saying remember when your MOM came over and she got a basket, etc. It's all good. I agree with CLEO

20. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

:iagree:

Maybe she was coming over to get her son, was talking to the kids and decided to or was challenged to take some shots with them. Before anyone knew it 30 min. had passed. Maybe she played basketball in high school or college and was teaching them a few things.