Things that worked great, but you just don't see anymore!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

My family played many a record on our stereo. It had great sound and was a good-looking piece of furniture.

[​IMG]

My grandmother had a built-in flour sifter in her kitchen similiar to this one!

[​IMG]

She also kept a large tin lard bucket under the kitchen sink for cooking! My Daddy's side of the family made their own lard each year during "hog killing" time! My 17 yr old daughter would DIE if she had to participate in that. Kids these days! They don't know what they missed! LOL

[​IMG]

Maybe kids play marbles these days, but I haven't seen any in years. I was just an average shooter. I always marveled at how some had the power to make their marble "stick" each time they shot and had the force to knock the other marble way out of the ring. We used to trade marbles like money for other items. Crystals, honeybees, steels, cat-eyes, boulders, etc! They all had a fluctuating value.

[​IMG]

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

anyone who flies would know this.

[​IMG]

3. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

4. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Except it would have been the original, with no ABC logo.

5. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Growing up, my maternal grandparents had a 2-hole privy. They were considered "well-off" by the community! :)

[​IMG]

6. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

The only thing wrong I can see with that picture is there is a roll of TP. I heard that back in the day they used the Sears catalog

7. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

They still do the pledge every morning at most elementary schools around here. Not sure about middle or high schools.

8. Josey Wales

Josey Wales Well-Known Member

Not JUST car hops. Enthusiastic car hops who provided good service with a smile. If we had them today, I would expect they would be slow as molasses, uncaring that they forgot your straws and napkins, and let every customer know how much they hated their minimum wage job.

9. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

You just referred to Sonics in Smithfield and Clayton before they closed.

10. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

haha vent windows. best way to tell a 67 camaro from a 68...67 camaro vent windows: YES, 68 camaro vent windows: NO

11. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Outstanding!

12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

As were mine. Funny thing, though, I don't remember where the heck I got all the parts. My parents only bought my one bike (and it was stolen a week after I got it) so that couldn't have been the donor.

Kids today, though, don't even know what a "bone" wrench is. Tell them they have to change an inner tube and they look at you like you have antennae growing out of your head.

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

There is one thing missing on this thread Kent. It has been missing, hidden, lost, extinct.

The Good Wife's Guide

From Housekeeping Monthly, 13 May, 1955.​

View the original article as a graphic
    Note: This may actually be fake. See Snopes.
    [​IMG]
    • Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have be thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they get home and the prospect of a good meal is part of the warm welcome needed.
    • Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
    • Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
    • Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives. Run a dustcloth over the tables.
    • During the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.
    • Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet.
    • Be happy to see him.
    • Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.
    • Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
    • Don't greet him with complaints and problems.
    • Don't complain if he's late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.
    • Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or lie him down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.
    • Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.
    • Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
    • A good wife always knows her place. (KNow it, learn it, live it beyotches)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  14. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Kids today, though, don't even know what a "bone" wrench is. Tell them they have to change an inner tube and they look at you like you have antennae growing out of your head. - Cliff

- - - - - -

I was serving some papers in Brier Creek subdivision, west Raleigh, when I saw a couple of moms and a group of kids standing around a bicycle.

I asked if there was a problem.

It was: the chain had come off and no one knew what to do.

I flipped the bike over and gave them all a lesson.

I had them all practice and now they know! :)

15. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

When my son was 6 I gave him a "tool set" that was rally just a few things, but everything he would need to work on his bike. he can put the chain back on, tighten the kick stand and do various adjustments. I dont think we have had to change a tire though. In the 70's all we did was ride bikes and play baseball. you just dont see kids riding bike much anymore.

16. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

If we are going retro Schwinn this is the best of all time.

[​IMG]

Normal kids just dreamnt of having one of these.

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

18. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

49 Ford Tractor

My Grandfather had one, passed it to mty dad, Now I got it. But you do not see many of these anymore. I ride my sons to the store on it at times. We get stared at since we live in Myrtle but its still fun.

19. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Pledge is still said k-12 around here.

20. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

My best friend's grandad had one. We used to climb all over and play with it when it was sitting idle.