confidentiality of test papers

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by rincmom, May 12, 2012.

1. rincmom

rincmom Well-Known Member

I have a question concerning the confidentiality of school test papers. To me this breaches confidentiality. What do you think? A student teacher took at least one (could be more) of the kid's test papers off school grounds, without parental permission, to use for some type of presentation. The parent only found out about this because she wanted to look at this particular test paper and couldn't. She was put off for about a week and then her child was told the student teacher had the paper. So the parent can't see the test because it is not at school. Nobody, especially someone who is not even an employee of JCSS should be able to use any kid's work without permission of the parent. Please tell me if I am wrong here. I want to know if someone knows for sure. Can they do whatever they want with any of the kid's information, tests or grades?

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

If it bothers them so much they can scratch out that kids name and put my son's if it means they are using it to improve their skills as a future teacher or improve other student teachers! Good grief. The last thing I'm going to be worried about is something like this. Unless the tests had SSN numbers, addresses, phone numbers, photos, etc. that are now being circulated of my child for negative purposes then it wouldn't bother me in the least. I <gasp> toss out some of my son's school work that the garbage man can find so I'm going to assume that you shred and/or rip up your child's tests before you toss them in the garbage, right? I'm also going to assume the kid didn't do so hot because I don't think anyone is going to mind that their child's A+ is out there for the world to see. :lol:

p.s. it is called "public" school 8)

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  3. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

Amen!! I have far more important things to worry about! Like the economy, number of people out of work, my health and husbands health, hungry people and other important issues! Pat

4. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yeah, that just sounded kind of ridiculous. A student teacher used your child's test as part of her studies/requirements.... I think I'd be honored rather than angry. <shrugs>

5. rincmom

rincmom Well-Known Member

So it's okay for the system to take and use any information they want without the parents consent? It's not just about a test paper, it's about the rights of parents to make the call on how private information is used. You are right, we are not talking about murder here but privacy laws and parental rights should be taken seriously. Next time it might not be just a test paper that is released.

6. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

So then if it bothers you so much, go to the teacher personally and voice your concerns. See what they have to say about it. Tell them you don't want your childs papers used without your permission. End of subject :)

7. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

I would not want my child's paper used without my permission. It would not have been that hard to ask the parent. I disagree that it the the teacher's property.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

It's confidential if the child's name is not used.

Just like "Physician–patient privilege" a doctor can describe your case, just so long as s/he avoids anything that would give an indication that it is your specific case.

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

As long as the student teacher covered/blacked out the student's name, it is NOT a breach of confidentiality.

10. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Wow... I just looked, and from your previous posts, rincmom, you really, really hate MCMS. I'm sorry you find it so awful. One of my kids goes there, and I wouldn't have a problem with a student teacher using his test paper as long as his name was marked out. Sheesh.

11. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

When I did my student teaching seven years ago, I had to create a portfolio with lesson plans and student work examples. As other posters mentioned, I blacked out student names.

In JCS, one of the forms they send home at the beginning of the school year is a consent form with a list of things you give your consent to. One of those statements is to allow the display of student work as long as no identifiable information is visible. The form is worded so you only sign it if you DO NOT want to give consent.

So, unless you signed that form at the beginning of the school year, there is no concern because you gave consent.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Another example of people not READING what is sent home. Imagine that.

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep.

:rolleyes: