Flea Med's for dogs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, May 3, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Trifexis yet on their dogs,it's supposed to be better in preventing fleas than frontline plus,however one downside is that it doesn't protect against ticks.So if you're using Trifexis what do you do about ticks!

2. mypaperheart

mypaperheart Active Member

I haven't ever tried the Trifexis but I swear by K9 Advantix. I've never had fleas or ticks on my dogs. I give them a separate heart worm med (Iverhart Max). I used to work in a vet clinic and we sold something similar to Trifexis that didn't protect against ticks so we also sold tick collars for people to get.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  3. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I have always used a the flea and tick repellents. Just not worth the money to take care of just one in my eyes. I hate ticks...lol

4. BEEBSLY9

BEEBSLY9 Active Member

Trifexis

We have been using Trifexis for all 3 of our dogs for about a year now, they are medium to large sized dogs and I have been pleased with it. I do worry about the ticks sometimes since it only prevents against fleas and heartworm. You'll just have to be sure to check your dogs more often for ticks. It sure beats having to put that gross liquid on their back once a month! Also, its about $20.00 a single pill, which isnt bad. 8)

5. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I just ordered Comfortis for my dog. @$75.00 for 6 pills. It's supposed to start working within 4 hours.

Frontline and Advantix et al are worthless.

6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Comfortis is GREAT for killing fleas ... I tried everything else, a few years back .. nothing got rid of the fleas until I gave the dogs Comfortis. Within that same day, no more fleas ... just some minor scratching from the bites they already had.

However - it doesn't do ANYTHING for ticks, unless they've changed the formula recently. I would use Comfortis every 2 or 3 months .. with doses of frontline in between.

7. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

do you need to have a prescription for the Comfortis?

8. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Been using K9 Advantix and now K9 Advantix II on all my dogs for over 6 years. I live in the woods and we take hikes in the mountains often. Never found any fleas or ticks on any of my dogs. I have however found a tick on me a couple times. They take Heartguard Plus for heartworm/roundworms/hookworms.

9. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

I just ordered it online from a Canadian company. Best price I found, and free shipping. Google "pet medications canada"

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I use Frontline on Buddy, never seen a flea on him and only 1 tick when he was a little pup

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

We have used fleastuff.com for years now. You can just order and the stuff is cheaper OR you can pay for a membership and get 10-20% of every order. Shipping is always free. No RX required.

My girl had a reaction to Comfortis...scared the crap outta me! WHen it happened I started looking up online and found that MANY dogs had suffered the same things. Thankfully, she was fine.

12. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I've read the same thing about Trifexis.