JC School Board Q of the Day

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Grinder, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Flowergirl

Flowergirl Well-Known Member

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Are you saying there has not been an investigation by law enforcement but the Judge just found probable cause for a trial? :confused: He was never questioned at any point by law enforcement? Is that what you're saying? I want to make sure I understand. And from what I read about your personal association with him I'm going to assume you got this info directly from the coach or his attorney or someone who spoke to either of them, right?

As someone who has no personal ties to anyone involved with this situation the way I see a situation like this is: Only he and she and God know the truth about what happened. Unless you were there you simply can't say you know the truth. Believing something with all your heart does not make it fact. Do I think a teenage girl is capable of flirting with a coach, leading him on and then turning around and falsely accusing him because maybe he didn't return her flirting? You bet. Do I think that happened in this situation? I have no idea. Do I think that a 25 year old guy (despite what even his own mother or anyone who has ever known him would attest to about his moral character) would find himself giving in to the temptation of said teenage girl and then after the fact regrets it but it's too late because she's ticked off he won't go out with her and she's off to the authorities? You bet. Do I think that happened in this situation? I have no idea. Do I think it stinks that girls can pull something like this against someone because their crush rejected them, broke up with them, etc.? Heck yes. Do I think that blame can be placed 100% on one person in this situation? Heck no. But all this does at the end of the day is drive home the point that unless a teacher wants to find themself in this young man's shoes they need to not find themself in ANY sort of situation with a student that could potentially be turned into the student's word against theirs. Period. Because even if a person is falsely accused and loses their job it is going to be an uphill battle to sue the school district for an incident like this because it's a claim that may be hard to prove legally. It's going to cost a lot of money and will drag on for years with appeals, etc. And I'm saying that because anyone who thinks they're okay being alone with a student because if they get accused and lose their job they will just sue the school district doesn't know exactly what that entails.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  3. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

He said - she said.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

For all those who do not think think they have a horse in this race....we are talking about the future mechanics, accountants, etc. And we are talking about the life of adults. Nothing should be taken lightly.

When my daughter was in that system we fought for equality and the Constitution (banned books and such). Grinder, I wish you and the Coach all the luck in the world. Especially for equality of teachers.

Sherry

5. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Never been an investigation by law enforcement? No. I never said that. I said they have never questioned him and got his side of the story. LE could have investigated the world for all i know. The accused, however, has never been interrogated by LE.

Interesting stuff presented today. The accuser told different versions of what happened that day. Said she was under the influence of alcohol. Lied to her teachers to get what she wanted. Lied to anyone to get what she wanted.

They never showed anything, to my knowledge, that will prove he did anything to her. So it will end up a he said she said, and then you have to decide who is more believable.

6. VolleyGrl

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11137631/

You can't argue that he didn't have inappropriate interaction (by interaction I'm just referring to talking/being around not necessarily touching) with this girl. Cellphone records? Good grief. That's not good. I'm not making a judgement about it either way except to say that the interaction was inappropriate. And that would be for any teacher/student regardless of the person's sex. You don't communicate with them via your cellphone and you don't drive them home alone.

I believe that it is highly possible that he was showing her too much attention and she got upset because she had a huge crush that he clearly did not try to immediatly put a stop to or understand that he could have been encouraging. Then when things don't go her way she makes the accusation. I think that's totally possible. I also think it's totally possible that something physical might have happened. I know people don't want to believe that of someone and it doesn't mean they are not a good person. It means they made a really bad decision and the girls involved in these situations are just as much to blame and there should be some sort of punishment for them as well.

Regardless of whether or not he crossed the line it's obvious the Coach has a lot of support that is going to help get him through this and that's a good thing.

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

The Devil is looking for a few more advocates.

8. ServerSnapper

With her changing her story already they should be doing a deposition. Then show a pattern of lies. What was the movie called "Wild THings", and "Pretty little liars".

9. VolleyGrl

Who is playing devil's advocate? I think the girl is probably the farthest thing from a victim, but that even if no touching ever happened that the coach isn't 100% without blame in this thing either and to try and say so is irrational. It's really that simple.

And you're right about the deposition. Hopefully he has good lawyers. And in the end if he is found innocent it may not be the school board he should go after, it's that girl for defamation, etc. I don't know the legal specifics, but it may end up he'd have a stronger case against her. He may have a few options, but that's for the lawyers to say. Obviously he's got a lot of hurdles to get over before that.

10. ServerSnapper

So you are saying the teacher has some fault because he took a student home. Now do we know if he had permission from the students parents to take the kid home?? If so. HE DID NOTHING WRONG. Where is he at fault? This is nothing more than over zealous DA trying to further her career. It will backfire because she has nothing but circumstantial evidence. Slap a lie detector to the girl during the deposition. Then we will see who is at fault.

FYI my band teacher use to come pick me up before school way early in the morning so the jazz band could practice. My football coach in HS came to my middle school to pick me up after school to hit the weight room before I even started HS.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  11. dgsatman

If he took a student home (particularly a female) alone without another person in the car, then absolutely, he acted foolishly. In today's, world NEVER put yourself in a compromising position needlessly. It could and can come back to bite you in the a$$.

12. ServerSnapper

Has it even been said no one else was in the car?

13. dgsatman

Not by me. "If"'s a mighty small word with big meaning.

14. ServerSnapper

Roger that

15. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

He has O'Hale as his lawyer!

16. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

the most devious thing on the planet is a teenage girl. dumb move driving her anywhere though.

17. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Teachers and coaches have been taking students home for years. JoCo claimed there was a policy in place preventing this from happening but there is/was no such policy when this happened.

He did take her home alone but he did take measures to cover himself, which will come out in the trial. Its not as simple as "he just took her home".

18. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

While I don't think there is a policy against it, I have been told by my building admin to NEVER EVER take a child home. Period. Because of that, I would think if I chose to do so that it would be insubordination? Not saying I am against Mac...just giving feedback on your recent post. :)

19. dgsatman

To cut to the chase, there probably WOULD NOT be a trial if he had not taken her home alone.

There is no need to "cover your a$$" when you don't leave it exposed!!! :evil:

20. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

update: http://www.wtsbradio.com/
    Corinth Holders Teacher Named In True Bill Of Indictment
    A Johnston County Grand Jury has indicted a former Corinth Holders High teacher. James Joseph McNamara II, 25, of Raleigh was indicted Monday on one count of taking indecent liberties with a student. The alleged incident occurred March 1 of this year, according to court records obtained by WTSB News.
    McNamara was suspended with pay on March 6 when the allegations against the teacher and coach first surfaced. On March 29, McNamara was arrested. The indictment alleges McNamara was a teacher at Corinth Holders and the victim was a student at the school at the time of the alleged incident. The indictment alleges McNamara “…unlawfully, willfully, and feloniously did take indecent liberties with (the victim).”