Trying to give $3,000 away in 3 hours, do you have a spot?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Ron Still, May 22, 2012.

1. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

We have new books from the publisher and have been giving them away at a rate of $3,000+ in 3 hours. We need to continue, until our truck is empty. Do you have a business location with traffic that would benefit from gifts of free books? If interested or curious, call 919-661-6565. The goal is to increase the number of books and reading in our area's homes. These are written at the adult reading level or at least high school.

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

SPAM on 4042?

3. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

I know of a woman/children's shelter and a school for the deaf that would be interested, but they are both in Wilson. What about the Smithfield Rescue Mission?

4. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

just park it at the parking lot entrance to Walmart or Food Lion in Benson....big sign..Free Books for JoCo residents.. sponsored by.....etc.

I bet people would take them and read. Plus it give you a chance to talk to them as they come up to get a free book or two.

5. Ron Still

Spam's in a can and what are you doing to better Johnston County?

Cleveland Library supports its service area and is the only Johnston County library open 7 days a week and the only one to give away more than $700,000 in books. We have many cook books and spam recipes for our members. I like it best, when cooked over an open wood campfire in a cast iron frying pan.

6. Ron Still

Food Lion and Wal-Mart management said no

Both said it was against a uniform corporate policy.

7. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

The rest of the businesses here have to go through the ad process. Why are you any different?

8. Ron Still

Say Myrtle Beach, know your 40/42 neighbors.

Let's start with how well do you know your neighbors:

Cleveland Library is not a business and is not required to follow all business rules.

Cleveland Library is an I.R.S. and N.C. Secretary of State recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit and public charity. It is registered in Johnston County as a dba of Basic Needs Ministry, which is an I.R.S. and N.C. Secretary of State recognized 501(c)(3) nonprofit and public charity. Basic Needs is a service incubator, which produced a clothing closet; food pantry for 500,000 meals; computer lab with 12 computers, Wi-Fi, commercial copier, FAX; prescription drug discount program with a local annual savings of $2-3 million a year, and a 180,000 book lending library for our residents, which saved taxpayers millions.

As a public charity, the library and its assets are only here to serve the public and are owned by the residents, the public.

40/42 has 165,000 neighbors within 10 miles and 490,000 in 15 miles.

I am the director of Cleveland Library and have worked for free since 2003 and local volunteers worked over 30,000 hours. We've had up to 900 different volunteers working in a 90 day period.

Unlike a business, for those who gave $360,000 through the years to start and run these projects, there is no cash return on investment, but a simple tax deduction. Still, according to law, any loans should be repaid

4042.com is a business venture, whose owner/manager is local and watching. I called the office recently and was again told to use the discussion groups.

Spamghetti Carbonara

Recipe courtesy of Chef Brandon Boudet of Los Angeles' Dominick's

• 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    • 5 oz. Spam, cut into ¼ x ¼ dice
    • 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
    • 1 lb. spaghetti
    • 1/2 cup grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese
    • 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Parmesan
    • Fresh black pepper to taste

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the Spam and sauté until crisp and brown, approximately 5 to 6 minutes.

In a separate bowl, add the eggs, egg yolks and 1/4 cup of water and beat together with fork until light and frothy.

Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, approximately 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and then return spaghetti to the pot.

Using two large forks, mix in the eggs, Spam with all the pan drippings, cheese and black pepper to the spaghetti in the pan. Serve immediately.

9. bridgett

bridgett Well-Known Member

Delicious!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the SPAM recipe! It was delicious! Hope you are successful giving away those books.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  10. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:lol: Where else but 4042.com does a thread start with trying to give away free books and leads to a Spam recipe!?

11. Ron Still

We aim to please. Next project-help learn how to write-yes, in cursive.

We've had some very amazing responses to the book offer. Some were very emotional and touched my heart. People appear amazed that a small no budget library could or even would attempt to give away $710,000 in books and commit the $5,000 in distribution costs. A library's mission is to get the books into the hands of community members and raise the desire to read anyway it can.

Johnston County Schools rejected the efforts of DPI STEM and Core Curriculum advocates , when they were told to drop cursive lessons and move the time to STEM. Cleveland Library supports the continuation of cursive lessons and will be adding cursive tracing guides to its Internet site in the coming weeks.

The back story. Sandy and I married in 1966 just after I received a draft notice. After Basic Training at Ft. Campbell, near Nashville, I was sent to Ft. Lewis, near Seattle. The Army gave me $100 to drive across country. We used it for gas and breakdowns, food for two for a month, rent for a month, and the rest of the basics. We found ourselves sitting in a small room in an old motor court with a battered AM battery operated radio and nothing else, except for our clothes. It was Thanksgiving time and we couldn't afford to grocery shop with the high west coast prices. About a week after we arrived, a box was delivered. It was from our former church in Clinton, Illinois. To this day, we have no idea how they found us. The box held the treasures, which only books could bring us. Words to form into pictures in our minds. Yes, tears came to my eyes that day, not only for the books, but that we, two young just married kids facing the Vietnam draft were remembered by someone, somewhere.

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Have you worked with any military organizations to send books in carepackages to our soldiers or their families .... since it meant so much to you to receive that box?

13. Ron Still

I cannot divert needed community resources.

We have thousands of new books at the library waiting since October to be processed for local residents to borrow from the library. The library costs $4,000 monthly to keep open. The community's excess books must first be offered for sale to the community to help cover our operating costs.

Our "library in the home" give away program permits people to own and keep new books. We have an agreement forged between the I.R.S., HMH, and Good360. The last truck load of new books we brought in was valued at $710,000, and our agreement limits what we may do with the book donations. It will cost us $5,000 in shipping, handling, and storage. The books were brought in to give away to adults to raise their interest in reading and to make books availale in their homes. Should we then ignore Johnston's needs, the I.R.S. and divert our limited time, energy, and resources to others?

1. Our mission is to provide books and basic library services to Johnston County and nearby residents.
    2. We've had publishers offer cases of free new books for Johnston's children and when no one would help pay the $15 per case shipping costs, the kids didn't get the new books.
    3. The bottom line: Since money and labor support are so small and a public library and public tax funding is legally banned for the 164,000 residents living within 10 miles of the library, we decided to focus on our mission and the needs of our target population.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  14. daisy8869

daisy8869 Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of your posting?

I commend your efforts to help the community; however when other posters offer workable solutions to your problems, you reply in a haughty manner.

This makes me question your true intentions with your posts. Which is a shame given the importance of literacy in our community.