Motorcycle registration Q

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Gomer Pyle, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

OK, this is probably an easy question, but damned if I can find an answer on NC DMV's website.

I took one of my bikes off the road the other year and turned in the plate -never cancelled the insurance- and now I want to put it back on the road.

My understanding is that I can't get a tag without an inspection, but without a tag how do I get to an inspection station?

I could go tagless or slap on the tag from my other bike, but either way I'd be illegal and they need to see the reg for the inspection anyway...catch 22.

There must be something I'm missing that would accomodate this situation, like a ferry permit or temp tag but I can't find it.

Help anyone? TIA

2. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/inspection_faq.pdf

13. I have an unregistered vehicle that I now wish to drive. What do I need to do?
    An unregistered vehicle must be inspected before the vehicle can be registered.

14. If the registration cannot be issued until it is inspected, and I can’t drive the vehicle to the inspection station, how do I legally get the car in compliance?
    DMV may issue a 10-day permit to a person that authorizes him/her to drive an insured vehicle for the purpose of inspection and registration. You should contact your local license plate agency or License and Theft Bureau office for the permit. Office addresses
    and phone numbers are available at www.ncdot.org/dmv under “Office Locations.”

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/inspection_faq.pdf

14. If the registration cannot be issued until it is inspected, and I can’t drive the
    vehicle to the inspection station, how do I legally get the car in compliance?
    DMV may issue a 10-day permit to a person that authorizes him/her to drive an insured vehicle for the purpose of inspection and registration. You should contact your local license plate agency or License and Theft Bureau office for the permit. Office addresses and phone numbers are available at www.ncdot.org/dmv under “Office Locations.”

4. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Guess we both found it pretty easily at the same time :)

5. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

We had a sinilar experience with a car--we went to the DMV and they gave us a paper (well we actually paid either 5 or 10 for it--I can't remember). The paper was a 10 day permit for us to drive until we had the inspection. After we got it inspected we had to go back and get the regular tag. We had no temp tag or anything on the car. They just said to show the paper if we got stopped. We went straight to the inspection station then drove a different car to get the plate bc we did not want the hassle of being stopped.

Hope this helps

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Thanks all- sometimes we seek but do not find; sometimes we look but do not see!

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

All them darned trees blocking the view of the forest again? :lol: