Why are there so many sick coughing kids?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by swtlkhny72, Jun 14, 2012.

1. swtlkhny72

swtlkhny72 Guest

I've never seen so many kids coughing, strep, pneumonia....
    Doctors misdiagnosing. Kids put on wrong antibiotics. It's driving me crazy.

2. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it...just got home a little while ago from the pediatrician's office with one of my girls; found out she has strep throat. Fever between 101-104 for more than 24 hours now. Rotating Motrin/Tylenol curbs it for a little while, but it just goes back up before time to give her more. She has had three cool baths and twice bathed in vinegar...nothing helps for very long. That is the part that scares me; I have had her go limp in my arms before from a high fever. :cry:

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

The good news with strep (yes there is good news) is that the antibiotic will start working within 24 hours and her fever should start going down while she also feels a bit better. I used to tell the Dr. I would rather my girls have strep than a viral infection that can take 7-10 days to subside. Just make sure you keep your child hydrated since the high fever can lead to dehydration faster. With strep, making popsicles was an easy way to keep liquids going down. Hope she feels better soon!

4. swtlkhny72

swtlkhny72 Guest

My girl held a fever for 7 days. I feel your pain. She's had it 2X since March.

5. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

My eldest has been coughing but he has not had a fever. He's been coughing for about three or four days. But he has bad sinus problems I am attributing the coughing to that mostly but it could be something else.

6. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Took my son & hubby to dr today due to bad cough/respiratory type problems. Hubby has ear infection, son has the respiratory crud going around. Dr said its lasting about 10-14 days. So he's about halfway done.

7. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

This stuff is nasty...my daughter has had it since Wednesday and just since yesterday has not consistently run a fever. She can finally breathe through her nose today but is still very congested. I have had this mess for about 10 days and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. What a way to start off the summer!