Snooping

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WhatNow, Jun 18, 2012.

1. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

If another adult in your home left their Face Book logged in, would you take that opportunity and snoop through their messages, etc. What about email as well, & phone messages?? Curious to know your thoughts on this.

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

What is this Facebook you speak of?

I wouldn't, just because some things seen (or read) can't be unseen (...or unread).

Of course, if the individual in question - I know you specifically said adult- was your responsibility that would be different.

TMI...

3. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

No. Ask them to log out or just log out for them. To do otherwise is a indication you are living with another adult that you do not trust.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:hurray:

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

This. DH and I have nothing to hide, but we do not go through each other's emails, FB, wallets, phones, etc.

That would not fly. At. all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  6. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Snooping is right up there with lying and cheating ... it's breaking 'Trust'. You better be prepared for the consequences.

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

+1

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, you already looked.

9. oggsmash

oggsmash Well-Known Member

I agree. A better idea for the OP is to tell us why they snooped. If it is a significant other/spouse that you think is fooling around, just say so.

10. Gomer Pyle

Not necessarily...why would one want to ask for opinions after the fact?

11. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Sounds more like WN was the one being snooped upon to me. :?

I agree with the others here...snooping is not cool.

12. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

You should make it a scientific poll. Here's how to proceed -

Post your User Name and password, then see how many of us can resist logging in.

13. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I think you are correct.

14. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. I have been "snooped upon". The person who has done so thinks that it is their right to do so. Said person believes that I would do the same if tables were turned. I would not, I would do as gcoats3 said - log them out.

There is no "legal" concern involved, just a matter of taking advantage of my forgetting to log out. Also, having my phone conversations eavesdropped upon intentionally has been a problem. I have had to change passwords on ALL private accounts because this person previously went into my personal online journal files & printed every page of my private diary out to keep in a file. I recovered them, but I no longer trust.....

What do you think about privacy boundaries for yourself? What is okay for you & what is not? What have you done when you feel your privacy has ben violated?

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I'm sorry you are going through this. I wish I knew what to say to help, but honestly, it is hard to comment since I don't know you or your situation. I know if it were me, I would talk with this person to find out why they feel the need to know every private aspect of my life, what has happened to cause them not to trust me, and if they think they are capable of respecting boundaries that make me uncomfortable when they are crossed. This would not be okay with me and something would have to change, and I'm not just talking about passwords. I hope you can reach a resolution that works.

16. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

17. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

one of the problems are most people would betray that trust and not worry about the consequnces until later when they confront the other person for not liking what they saw. Instant gratification is a huge problem. For you people who try to be PC about everything....and say you wouldn't look..I am straight up calling you a damn lie!!

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

You can call me whatever you want, SS ... some of us have learned from experience. In some situations, LOTS of experience. If I can't trust you, or you can't trust me, then get out of my house.

If that sounds too drastic, then at least TALK about why there's no trust. What's it based on - insecurity? Jealousy? Past experience?

19. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I wouldn't need to. I have DH's passwords, and he has mine. The main reason for this is because he is semi-computer dumb, and when he wants his profile picture changed, or needs to check an online account, he asks me to do it for him.

20. Gomer Pyle

Since when is acting in an ethical manner 'PC'?