sounds too good to be true

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

http://www.4042.com/4042classified/index.php

Description
    2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible for urgent sale
    Price: $2100
    Year: 2004
    Make: Volkswagen
    Model: New Beetle
    Trim: Engine: 4-Cylinder
    4 Cylinder Engine
    Trans: AUTOMATIC
    Fuel: Gasoline
    Color: Other
    Interior:
    Miles:43,114
    Body Style: Convertible
    Condition: Used
    Category: Used Cars for sale
    2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible for urgent sale.Like new excellent condition.Reduced price of $2100.interested?? email through (mrss.christina@ymail.com) Thanks

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I don't know, sold my 2000 for $500.00, multiple recalls, and although we won that one, my wife swore we would never have another VW.

3. Rockyv58

Currently I am driving a 2009 bug convertible. Its a leased car that my brother has. I like it. As far as I know the lease is up in March 2013. But I just got home and had an email from my brother that the lease is almost up. I have to email him back with the mileage and find out when the lease is finally up. I figure it would be cheaper to buy the 2004 bug then to fix my 1998 blazer. I think it would take about 5k + to get my blazer back up and running.

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Be careful!! Give it a few days if it is on CL and check it again. Those ads are usually flagged and removed. The ymail and gmail are often not legitimate ads on cl. Much like the ones on the 4042 classifieds that list the town/county/city incorrectly with USA behind it.

Ooops...just saw the link that it is on here. Yes, it sounds too good to be true unless it is a salvage title.

5. Rockyv58

It was posted way back on May 3rd 2012

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yeah, I found the ad. Something sounds way off to me, but what do I know...just be careful!!

7. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

8. Rockyv58

That's why I was asking the good folks on our page what they thought. You know the saying if it sounds too good to be true then it usual is

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I agree with you both, rocky and gcoats. I have been shopping for quite a while for a vehicle for my youngest and those same kinds of ads are on craig'slist. Always the same kind of email. Never a phone number. I don't know exactly what they are fishing for, but I had just as soon not bite and find out. They get flagged pretty quickly and disappear.

Good luck rocky...it is a pain finding a decent, affordable used car.

10. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

DD was looking for a car and has saw several with these types of addresses. Most of the emails she gets back has sounded exactly the same, just with a different person's name with it.

This is the same with homes that are for rent or sale. We have seen several that were listed for rent, at a low price. The ones that do not have any contact information, get emails saying the same thing, except for a few things changed or scammers put homes that are for sale up for rent that are not for rent.

Best advice is approach with caution.

11. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

12. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

On the topic of affordable transpo, I go past this place every once in a while. It's in southwest Raleigh at the East end of Lake Wheeler Rd. I don't know anything about it other than what I've read but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.wheels4hope.org/index.php

13. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Wheels 4 Hope works w/ agencies like Urban Ministires, Step Up Ministries, etc. Their clients buy the car for little cash, it is not just given to them (as they say, it's a hand up, not a hand out). You can't just go there and buy a car.

14. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

These ads are scams. If you respond to it they will tell you that they are out of state or country, and they will ship you the car.

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

It says on their website that they sell to the general public on certain days.

Public Sales

In addition to repairing and selling program cars, Wheels4Hope also sells low-cost cars to the general public. These vehicles, typically in the $1,000-5,000 range, provide opportunities to those with modest means to purchase an affordable vehicle. Every car sold has been carefully assessed and appropriately repaired. They have passed safety tests and are sold with full disclosure. "Public Sale Vehicles" are offered as-is with full disclosure of any known issues (e.g., information provided by the donor and information from Wheels4Hope's assessment and repair process). Those interested in our public sales are asked to come by our garage at 929 S. Saunders Street in Raleigh on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

16. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

thats because volkswagon beetles are a piece of crap! I would noit give her a dollar for it

17. Rockyv58

Right now I am driving my brothers leased 2009 vw bug convertible. Haven't had any issues with it, with the exception that I found out the lease is over.

Anyone know anything about Scion xB's? the first gen?

18. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Oh, that's nice to know. I hadn't checked them out in awhile. I guess that helps them raise funds.

19. Rockyv58

20. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) values this make/model/year/mileage around 9500 if it were in 'excellent' condition. Wonder why the price is so low. I'd get a copy of the VIN and run a carfax or autocheck on it, see if it's had any accidents or flood damage.

What do they know about the history of the car? Do they have any maintenance or service records? Where did it come from - did they pick it up at auction, or was it from this area? Do they know when the tires were replaced? What gas mileage does it get? Can you have a mechanic look it over before signing on the bottom line? What kind of guarantee does this seller offer?

Do some legwork ... google the make/model/year .. have there been any recalls? How does the price compare with other similar models in this area?