Copperhead

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jun 22, 2012.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Our little dummy of a dachshund just caught and killed it.
    It's a young one about 15" and I read that their venom is more intense than that of the adult snake.
    [​IMG]

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Did he get bitten? Had a collie that got in to a fight with one .. dog ended up biting it in half and killing it, but got bitten on his nose. Poor dog's nose blew up like a football, but he pulled thru just fine.
    Hope your doxie is ok!

3. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

<Shudders> Hope your little one is okay!!

4. AnnetteL

Thanks for asking,he's ok! Still can't believe that he was dumb enough to mess with it in the first place!!! Our 2 year old dachshund already knows better,hopefully Willie will learn too!

5. AnnetteL

Glad that your collie made it through his ordeal,football nose and all!!

6. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

The danger with the young uns is they don't control the venom they release when they bite like an adult, that looks like a decent size copperhead, unless you enlarged it.

7. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

:iagree: Just looking at it gives me the "creepies"!

8. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

It's not that the venom is more potent or stronger, it is that as a juvenile it doesn't have the bite/venom control that adults have. Adults will often deliver "dry" bites where they will bite but won't inject an venom

9. AnnetteL

About 14-15".I put on top of a garden hose holder.

10. AnnetteL

Thanks for mentioning,I wasn't quite sure anymore.I do hope this was his first and last one!!

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Glad your dachshund is ok .. I'd be scared to death with a little dog (it was scary with a big collie!). The collie HATED snakes after that ... wouldnt hesitate to snap at, or attack, another one. Fortunately, didnt have any more bad incidents. Had two other dogs as well ... a german shepherd and an australian shepherd, they'd always stay behind the collie when there was a snake nearby - it was like "We got your back, buddy! If it gets past you, we're here!"

If the snake was a juvenile, most likely others around as well ... keep an eye on your pup, he'll have a snake-killing-ego on him now! ;)

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

looks like it was a female, glad no one got bit by it.

13. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

*shiver* EEEEEEEEEEEEEKkkkkkkkk....ughhhh....:arrow::arrow::arrow:

14. AnnetteL

How can you tell?

15. AnnetteL

'A snake killing ego" that's him alright but I wish it wasn't! The longhair dachshund we used to have once wrestled with a large water snake when she was his age but by the next year she had learned her lesson and would run the other way as soon as she saw as much as a cast off snake skin.

16. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

glad your pooch is ok. Give your doggie an extra cracker, cause although we have dogs for pets, we also have them to protect us, and your doggie did a mighty fine job!!!! :)

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

By the tail, a male has a much smoother tapering in size, females kind of have a noticable drop in the tapering.

18. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

the biggie ID factor is the Vertical Pupils!! Always a BAD Sign!

19. BossRotton

BossRotton Well-Known Member

2 weeks ago I was cleaning out an old wood pile and had one strike at me and miss (thank goodness). It obviously saw me before i saw it. I felt the breeze from the missed strike and saw it fall to the ground out of the corner of my eye...It then coiled up and sat there looking at me. They are an aggressive lot.

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually copperheads are rather lazy snakes and are seldom actually aggressive. They tend to react more than attack unlike a cottonmouth which are very aggressive snakes.