Lowes

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BossRotton, Jun 27, 2012.

1. BossRotton

BossRotton Well-Known Member

Howdy..

For the last 2 months or so, I have purchased over 2 grand of lumber from Lowes of Smithfield for misc decks for the pool and now for a garage I am building.
    Two nights ago My brother and I are at Lowe's in Smithfield searching for a good cover/ wall for the garage and spot what I thought would be ideal and what I was looking for. However after examination of said materials, we both noticed it had some damaged pieces where a forklift got a lil too close and ding it slightly. Trying to be the smart consumer, I went to the contractors desk and asked if I could get a discount on the damaged wall panels. The gentleman behind the desk, Obviously working at the time, told me he would offer it at 25% off for each piece that was damaged. I thought..NICE.....with that savings on that I could also purchase a steel door that I also needed.
    By the time my brother and I loaded 20 sheets of the 4x 8 siding, and found a door that would suffice, the gentleman that was working (on the clock) who gave me the discount, was no longer on the clock. Another guy named Tim, who was NOW working the register, told me, that he would NOT honor the discount. I pleaded with this a-hole that "randy" told me that I could receive this discount. his answer...Randy isn't on the clock and what he says doesn't matter, you are dealing with me now. At that moment i noticed " Randy" was just inside a cubicle behind Tim. I addressed Tim that Randy, the guy behind you said I could have it if you simply asked him. His response to me was, " I cannot speak to him because he is off the clock and what he said doesn't matter". At this point I became furious with the a-hole and said in a very LOUD voice, " I tell ya what you per ick, that is the dumbest effin thing I ever heard in my life. now you get to load every one of these sheets back on the shelf and you can keep this door and shove it up your dumb *** for acting like a tool bag." After Randy heard this, He came from behind the cubicle and FINALLY told Tim to sell it to me as he and I first agreed upon. So i bought the siding with little to no comment from Tim. I didn't purchase the door though at this point because I was so ****ed...I told Tim as I left that he can go restock the door or shove it up his *** for all I care.

I'm sorry that was long but my question to 40/42, Was I wrong for my reaction ?? I know Tim was just doing his job but to tell me that he "couldn't walk over to randy ( 10 feet) to confirm our deal" was just being hard to get along.

I will from now on be going to Lowe's at 40/42. It is about 5 miles further away but dang that really heated me.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

There's a lumber place on 301. Its right beside the 301 flea market & neuse river. I'll jot down the name after while.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

If it were me, I'd send and email of this post text to Lowe's corporate (I'd leave off the bit about going to another Lowe's). You might get a refund, you might get a discount on a future purchase, or you might not get anything at all, except the personal gratification of letting corporate know what you think of the types of people they're hiring.

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Neuse Lumber??? or maybe Neuse Building Supply???

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

6. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I agree with this totally. (I don't know how to make the "I agree" little smiley thing...) I would definitely send a written letter AND email to Lowe's corporate and tell them what happened, but also state that you won't be shopping from them anymore (even if you would go to the 40/42 location). That's some of the poorest customer service I've heard of lately, and obviously the employee was just being passive aggressive. No, you didn't overreact in my opinion.

Make sure to follow through with a complaint, though!

7. BossRotton

Ty clif, I just completed a form to corporate with not so many curse words.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Cool. Be sure to post a follow up to let us know what happens. :)

9. BossRotton

You bet.

10. BossRotton

ty Dgsat and harley for the heads up !!!

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: totally!!!

12. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

:iagree:

13. pcroom

pcroom Well-Known Member

I'm betting the corporate office will not be happy about your experience. We had a problem at the 40/42 location. My husband called corporate and our issue was immediately solved. I might add that the Lowe's at 40/42 is almost always very helpful and we enjoy shopping there. Pat

14. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Most of us probably would have had a similar response. The only thing I would add that you apparently did not do is to ask for a manager. You probably should have before blowing up. I am not an easy customer to deal but I have had very good response from the managers at that store. On Black Friday, there was one manager, I think his name was Clint, that went above and beyond to make sure that I left there happy. I'm not usually loyal to any kind of retailer, but that experience and a couple of others have kept me returning to that store

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yep, I think his name is Clint. We had a bad experience on Black Friday at the Smithfield location. We ordered something online that was a Black Friday special. Charged it to our credit card and got ready to go and pick it up in store. Just before leaving, we got a phone call that the item was out of stock. It still was showing as in stock and the website allowed us to make the purchase. Well, I canceled the order, wrote to corporate about our experience, and a day later got a personal call from Clint, the manager, that they would have my item at the customer service desk within 2 days at the advertised price. We were pleased with the response.
    We frequent the Knightdale Lowe's because it is convenient, but I would not hesitate to go to Smithfield again. In any case, asking for a manager is a good route to follow. I would have been ticked too in your position. Hope you get a satisfactory result.

16. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

You mentioned that you know he was "just doing his job"....if being a DB, then yes, he was just doing his job. He works with the public in a customer service field. He was NOT doing his job.

17. BossRotton

Doing your job is one thing, having an attitude is another.

18. BossRotton

I just received a letter from Corporate telling me my email was forwarded to the Senior Manager At the Smithfield store.

19. RISteveH

RISteveH Well-Known Member

When I worked for Lowes in New Bern we had a change in management, the outgoing on was not very well versed in CS, the incoming one was. Second day in the store he had a mandatory Store meeting before opening, told us point blank that he was there because of complaints to corporate about CS.

Told us all that if a customer had a issue with anything and it could be solved for under $100 we were authorized to take care of it without his approval, just write it up and turn it in at the end of the day. He even gave the example of if someone comes in with a weed-eater that doesn't run right and is not happy about it, go get them another one and send them on there way.

So yes Lowes does care about CS and the associate will be hauled into the office for some retraining. Been there, seen that.

20. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Not too happy with the Lowes at 42 either! Husband ordered a air-compressor there more than 2 1/2 weeks ago,was told that it should take no more than 1 week initially. I called Corporate,was told it should be there in a couple of days,that was Tuesday!!