Power out in Clayton for over 2 hours

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Jun 30, 2012.

1. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Certainly glad this happened during the night time hours. It would have been brutal during the day in this heat.

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

What time did it go out? I know when we cut the tv off around 11:30 last night it was a good rainstorm going on. I don't think we lost power on Amelia Church Rd. though.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Half the folks on Appalachian power in VA are out and will prob stay out til next week. It's a mess up there. All my family is safe, but really glad I'm not up there right now. The area I was in last weekend looks like a tornado went through.

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

More storms of similar strength are supposed to pass through the east coast area of Philadelphia down to northern NC again tonite (most heavily concentrated in the Baltimore/DC area I believe).

5. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

We are on Barber Mill and we did not loose power, although my son said they lost power at Ray's Pizza for a couple of hours. We did have a power surge yesterday afternoon though.

6. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

It sounded like it was pouring rain about 11:00 last night here on Cornwallis Rd but this AM when we got up, everything was dry....Surely it wasnt already dried up by 8:00AM...?? No power loss tho and no branches down like there was bad wind.

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that power surge is what blew out my AC. :(

8. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Same way in my hometown in va, scary, family all ok but power out & trees down everywhere, times like this i wish i was there for my mom. Thank goodness my sons & brother are there!

9. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

Oh no! Hopefully you have AC now!

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Not yet .. have someone coming out later this afternoon to fix it. Boy, do you ever take something like AC for granted til you don't have it on the hottest day of the year!! ;)

11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Have to pay the bill before they turn it off, gcoats3. :lol:

Sherry

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I wasn't home last night, but got 2 texts (from ABC11) and one weather call from JoCo about severe weather warnings. Got home today and it looks bone dry here?! Did it rain in Archer Lodge? My plants say otherwise...

kdc and kaci...keeping your loved ones in my thoughts and prayers. :grouphug:

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks, so worried abt my mom, still no power there & over 100 degrees but she will not leave the house due to her little baby girl, her dog. She is 85& a strong independent woman but i worry abt the heat & her age

14. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Heard that some areas up there will be without power til AT LEAST early next week.

Can she and the pup check in to a hotel, or go stay with friends/family? Surely someone would let her bring along her dog.

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Yeah all my family would & her friends but they have no power either. Unfortunately most hotels up there won't accept pets. Tried to get her to come here, offered to come get her but dang i guess i got my stubbornness from her :(

16. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Oh, Kaci .. how frustrating. I understand the stubbornness - I'll pray for her comfort and safety.

I got my AC fixed after just 24 hours ... and I had a ceiling fan to sit under! I can't imagine the massive power outage that they're going through. It sounds like she's one tough bird, though ... and I'm sure she's survived worse!

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Thanks firefly. My BIL has no power at his house in the city of Roanoke, but my sister has kept hers in Boones Mill. Amazing, hers is usually the first to go. She works as Valley View and had a hard time getting home that night for all the downed trees.

We've not had any rain out our way for sure. We are watering our poor plants 2 and 3 times a day.

18. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I can't believe we didn't lose any plants to the heat, given that we were out of town all week. I was worried about my 5 baby birds in a hanging basket on the porch, but they were all gone when we watered it last night. Hope they all flew to somewhere cool!

I am glad your sister has power, kdc. Praying all of the folks in VA get their lives back to normal as quickly as possible.

19. BossRotton

BossRotton Well-Known Member

Power stayed on by JC Airport. The storms that passed through "field goaled" my residence.

20. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I have family in Farmville that lost power for over 60 hours. Trees down everywhere, crushed one of their cars. It's pretty bad up there....